AMD 4 !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14th had at least six
15th had six
16th had five,

As far as I understand it, a British standard is only allowed three amendments before a new version must be brought out, 14th and 15th were prior to it becoming a British standard so not relevant and if you look at your screenshot more closely you can see that it seems there was a bit of workaround applied

BS7671:1992 (Red cover) when it become the british standard and was reprinted with a new title
AMD 1 - 1994 (Yellow)
AMD 2 - 1997 (Green)
AMD 3 - 2000

Then BS7671:2001 Issued (Blue)
AMD 1 2002
AMD 2 2004
Reprinted with brown cover incorporating both of these.

No edition of the british standard had more than three admendments, but a new version of the standard was issued without it being a new revision of the regulations. I get the feeling that this is probably bending the rules just a little!

With the 18th starting with a Blue cover, I do wonder if the intention was to continue with the 17th edition but issue a new version of the standard like they did with the 17th edition and then after we got the brown book we would be about ready to get the 18th in the next year or so, approximatly 17 years after the last new version came out..... but someone at BSI put a stop to that game

As far as I understand it, a British standard is only allowed three amendments before a new version must be brought out
Thanks, I did not know that,
I thought he was talking about the regs as regs and as BS standard ,
as for the book colour goes, does it not follow a pattern RED, Green ,Yellow, Blue, Brown
as the 17th stopped on yellow then the next book would be blue, so we are now on Brown so the next should be Red

Thanks, I did not know that,
as for the book colour goes, does it not follow a pattern RED, Green ,Yellow, Blue, Brown
as the 17th stopped on yellow then the next book would be blue, so we are now on Brown so the next should be Red

But it always used to start at Red for any complete new edition of the regs, starting the 18th on Blue was unusual and likely because they hadn't been allowed to finish the 17th off without their workaround, and that would then mean that they never issued any blue or brown books again.

I've been in the trade one comeplete circle of colours, it was a a brown book when I started and is again now, I get the feeling @kerching has seen quite a few rainbows of them!

Anybody still got the little brown EEETPU book? That was handy
I’ve got an IET subscription so everything is digital,now and as I’m semi retired I don’t care. For the next 12 months my level,of retirement depends on how much money people want to throw at me. My current status of "up on bricks" is galvanising the situation somewhat

But it always used to start at Red for any complete new edition of the regs, starting the 18th on Blue was unusual....

Was that just coincidence because the 15th and 16th did go though the full 5 colours on their own,
but the 17th didn't..?? e.g.

15th: 1981 Red, 1983 Green, 1984 Yellow, 1986 Blue, 1987 Brown..
16th: 1991 Red, 1994 Green, 1997 Yellow, 2001 Blue, 2004 Brown..
17th: 2008 Red, 2011 Green, 2015 Yellow..
18th: 2018 Blue, 2022 Brown..

So the colour sequence is consistent.. (for 40+ years)....
But until the 18th, there hadn't been a previous edition that didn't use the full five colours.

That is as I understood it.

And as we have now only gone through the colour sequence three times, patterns can be a bit vague?..