Another cowboy found.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a landlord I would be interested on how long a good eicr takes to complete on a std 3 bed property (obv no such thing as standard).
And what would be a competitive price.
Btw I'm not fishing for a price as even though I use a letting company. All service and repairs I have access to trades who I know will do the correct job not a bodge job..
electrician, gas fitter ect that I always use go in and vet the property making me a list of things that need doing. I've never said no leave it. They have confidence I will stick by them and I have confidence they won't rip me off.

How many circuits in the property, shed, garage

How many fuseboards

How big is the property

Those are the basic questions
It's hypothetical so let's go
3 rings
2 lighting.
1 Oven and 1 shower.
I fuseboard split load.
3 bed semi.

I'm guessing outside London it's around £25-£30 per hour for a sparky so £150 should cover it. Nice one

I'm guessing outside London it's around £25-£30 per hour for a sparky so £150 should cover it. Nice one
I think you are being highly optimistic at £25 - £30 / hour I doubt you could cover overheads and earn a reasonable crust for that rate more like £40+ / hour even in the less affluent areas of the UK

I think you are being highly optimistic at £25 - £30 / hour I doubt you could cover overheads and earn a reasonable crust for that rate more like £40+ / hour even in the less affluent areas of the UK
So your saying a electrician will earn over 80k per year? Working a 37.5 hour week? According to the National AVG it is around 35k per year

So your saying a electrician will earn over 80k per year? Working a 37.5 hour week? According to the National AVG it is around 35k per year

when you are self employed you do not work 7.5 earning hours per week, and you also have business overheads too

Then "national average" is misleading too.

And of course theres no sick pay, no holiday pay and no bank holiday pay for the self employed either ......

I used to do my business plan sums based on 200 earning days per year.

Like some of the quotes Ive received from Sparky's in the past. It must be compulsory for You to make it up as you go along. 😄😉.

£25 - £30 is not enough anymore. Overheads keep increasing, especially fuel, so you need to charging more like £35-40, with a minimum £40-£50 for the first hour on small jobs

you can't guarantee the hours, and in reality you need a day a week to sit at home doing paperwork, accounts, tax returns etc, or ruin your evenings working until 10pm

if you take your car to a garage and they charge £35 per hour, do you think the mechanic doing the work is getting paid £35 per hour?

where do you think admin time, insurances, other expenses / overheads, holidays etc get paid from?

don't take this the wrong way, but typical landlord...

you can't guarantee the hours, and in reality you need a day a week to sit at home doing paperwork, accounts, tax returns etc, or ruin your evenings working until 10pm
Binky. Shush. Keep this between me n there.
I'm at home. Bored already with this cold weather and thought I would tug the chains of Murdoch as from my short time on here i know can be a bit touchy 😄..
Don't forget I'm self employed and have a team to do the property's So have an idea of costings.
Btw my reports cost me £220 for the leccy and £100 for the gas though it's usually that price when the property's are empty and leccy usually is in first as if it need rewire I sooner know within the first week not the last.

Meh. Back on the grid tomorrow. 😉 🤭

if you take your car to a garage and they charge £35 per hour, do you think the mechanic doing the work is getting paid £35 per hour?

where do you think admin time, insurances, other expenses / overheads, holidays etc get paid from?

Haha. Bloody typical landlords. Haha

Haha. Bloody typical landlords. Haha
landlords come in 2 types, those that care to maintain their properties, and keep things like leccy and gas safe, and the rest!

Unfortuately there's a lot of 'the rest' types about, who aren't worth working for coz they just want everything on the cheap and quibble every penny. And after quibbling every penny, one even had the audacity not to pay for 54 days, ie just before I could take him to the small claims court. I even walked off a testing job many years ago after turning up at the house to find the landlord thought he knew how to do electrics, and the property stank of raw sewage from a problem with the upstairs bathroom - worst slum I have ever seen.

I do, however, have several good landlord types who are a pleasure to work for.

So I take it your business has no overheads and dead non earning time then
And of course theres no sick pay, no holiday pay and no bank holiday pay for the self employed either ......
And don't forget any training days and time spent updating regs knowledge and other need to know stuff
I used to do my business plan sums based on 200 earning days per year.
And even 200 earning days can be optimistic goal
Like some of the quotes Ive received from Sparky's in the past. It must be compulsory for You to make it up as you go along. 😄😉.
Everybody wants a cheap as chips job as every job is a simple one or so they think as my old business partner used to say you work out the price and then decide what the buggeration factor (degree of difficulty or likelyhood of something going wrong) is likely to be and it is added to the cost the other option is for the customer to opt for a daywork rate if you want to call it making it up as we go along then that is your choice

That would be a cheap garage at £35 an hour, I find the ones that often complain about electrician's prices drive Land Rovers or BMW's and quite happily pay main dealer hourly rates of £130+ per hour for servicing and repairs
Binky. Shush. Keep this between me n there.
I'm at home. Bored already with this cold weather and thought I would tug the chains of Murdoch as from my short time on here i know can be a bit touchy 😄..
Don't forget I'm self employed and have a team to do the property's So have an idea of costings.
Btw my reports cost me £220 for the leccy and £100 for the gas though it's usually that price when the property's are empty and leccy usually is in first as if it need rewire I sooner know within the first week not the last.

Meh. Back on the grid tomorrow. 😉 🤭
Whatever floats your boat tug someone's chain too much and you might get ignored and not get the advice you need

Last edited:

Latest posts