Another take on bonding for TNCS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
I'm sure this is obvious to a lot of you - but I've just got this straight in my mind and thought I ought to share it!

I have trouble explaining bonding to customers as to quantify the chance of your water pipes going live is a million to one.

However - with TNCS if the neutral connection goes open circuit before the incomer - then if any appliance is on - even a low wattage light - the earth connection then effectively becomes live. If bonding isn't in place then if you touch a kettle body and a tap for example you will get a nasty shock. If not on an RCD it could kill.

I've seen loads of main switches where the neutral connection has burnt out. For this to happen before the incomer to my mind could easily occur as human error or a limp wristed electrician. Far easier to quantify than someone shorting line to the water supply with a mechanical digger!

Perhaps this is the justification for 17th edition using RCDs everywhere - makes more sense to me.

Is this new to people or am I just a thicko!

TT and RCD it

PME has too many safety problems. even if it does raise all pipework to 230V (so there is no PD between anything in the house), there is still a serious fault and anyone out the zone can easily get a fatal shock

there are limiting factors tho, for example if you got plastic incoming water supply, and copper pipework within the house after the stop cock, then you could do with varifying that this water supply needs a bond or not, a reading below 22k ohms from metal work to MET would require bonding to be completed, if its above this figure then its not an ECP and does not require bonding. how many houses are potentially at increased risk with the neuytal going open, when they prob dont even need this water bond.

ps i agree with above comments about tt ruling, id rather have a tt at home than this pme

Called DNO to come fit a Isolator this morning, Woman asks if i want to be put onto PME also...No Ta you can keep that thanks .

Don't see the problem with PME if you are going to instal RCDs everywhere.

There's nothing preventing you from using a rod as well.

The point is that there are loads of houses out there with PME systems with no RCD protection and no bonding. Trying to persuade some customers to have a new board can be hard, as as far as they are concerned their electrics have always worked - so 'why do I need a new board and why do I have to have this bonding thingy!'. Using this as an explanation may persuade them to do the right thing and get things safe.

I agree that I can't see what is wrong with an RCD protected PME system - and perhaps this is what the new 17th boards are addressing via the back door! Who would admit to coming up with such a seriously flawed method in the first place!

Only thought I've got is that for an inspection you can only inspect to the regs at the time the installation was made. Personally I would now say that no RCD on a PME system should be a code 2 - but obviously it must go as a code 4.

So, if the DNO lost their neutral, the premises would be drawing all those little electrons from the earth rod and not from the DNO's Neutral instead?

So, if the DNO lost their neutral, the premises would be drawing all those little electrons from the earth rod and not from the DNO's Neutral instead?
and the neighbours premesis too :|

To me, the ammature, it didn't sound like a good plan?

Where's Steps when you need him?

and the neighbours premesis too :| To me, the ammature, it didn't sound like a good plan?

Where's Steps when you need him?
If you and your neigbours house are both bonded correctly to common metal services then in principal you won't initially notice a problem. However - now your neighbours neutral cable will be taking your current as well as your neighbours!! You have successfully exported your problem - and how long before his neutral burns out?.

Nice!