Any bikers on here?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Ok so I've got my heart set on getting a motorbike,just need to do my theory test, complete the lessons, pass the test, get the safety gear, get a bike and pay the insurance. Its going to cost me a fortune.

I'm thinking of getting a 2001 CBR600 when I pass, I originally thought about getting a smaller cheaper bike at first but me being me I can see me fast becoming bored with it, what do you think(about a CBR)?

Any of you guys recently completed your bike test or have any thoughts?

My girlfriend hates the idea she thinks I'm gona kill myself please take my side and tell me how much fun motorbikes are;).

Tim

DREAM for me too!

I have a full unrestrited licence, so I could (IF I had the money) go out and buy an unrestricted bike tomorrow and ride it to my hearts content.

MIND, I've not thrown my leg over a m/cycle saddle for 10 years!

I would love to get back to it...

I would probably go for around a 600 if I did to get the feel again.

Anything too small and I would feel vulnerable.

Follow your dream mate a cbr600 sounds good or an R6 maybe. Just get a nice loud exhaust so if the idiots dont see you they hear you first. My dad had a bad accident on a 175cc bike went under a skip lorry and always said he'd never ride anything without power to pull himself outta dangerous situations. Me mum bought him a CBR900RS Fireblade (Neil McKenzie Replica) for his 50th birthday. Good fun that is 140mph about 8500 to 9000 revs and i think it goes to around 14,000rpm (not sure tho) but good good fun. Follow your dream cos youll only regret it later if you dont.

Cheers and remember "THINK BIKE"

Done bikes when I was young and had no choice. Would never go back to them though seen to many people killed on them. Roads are far to dangerous these days.

I passed my bike test years ago and had mainly 250s or thereabouts. had a very bad accident in the 80s on a brand new Honda 250 and nearly died. got impaled on a tree (its a long story) which resulted in losing 3' of intestine and serious internal injuries and loss of blood - they put 11 pints in me. Don't remember what happened but no other vehicle was involved. Police measured the skids and did some calcs based on the 115' I travelled through the air before landing on the tree and worked out I was doing "well in excess of 80MPH" As I was unconcious for quite some time they couldnt question me. When they did I simply said "I don't remember" which I dont and still dont 20 years later.

That said I was not put off and continued riding for some years. Spent a long time without a bike as my wife was dead set against the idea. Finally put my foot down and bought a bike again last year. A 2000 Yamaha XJ600N. 4 stroke 4 cyl, air cooled, only 180Kgs and easy to ride. I would thoroughly recommend something like that to start with before you get your confidence and skills up to speed.

At junctions always assume the car hasnt seen you and have your escape route in mind. Ride defensively and do a Police Rider Training Programme if theres one available.

Apart from that have fun and enjoy the unique freedom that comes with riding a big bike!

Don't have the yamaha anymore but have my eye on a GSX-R 750!

im a biker, mountain bikes and road bikes. I used to ride crossers but theres nowhere to ride without the flippin helicopters chasing you.

I understand that there's a higher risk involved but like Revjames says its the "fun and unique freedom" that I crave.

wear the best gear you can afford, boots, kevlar jacket, good gloves even Hi vis. Ride with lights on. Its a fantastic feeling and worth all the inconveniences. Oh and dont ride in the wet unless you really have to!

i had bikes when i was younger, i'm please some one stole it as i was about to kill myself on it, forever racing. plus i have a heater in the van, no more cold fingers for me
Thats why I would only have a bike on the road during the summer months lay it up in the garage for the 6 coldest months and only ride for pleasure!

Thats why I would only have a bike on the road during the summer months lay it up in the garage for the 6 11 coldest months and only ride for pleasure!
Thats better!

i had bikes when i was younger, i'm please some one stole it as i was about to kill myself on it, forever racing. plus i have a heater in the van, no more cold fingers for me
Electric gloves.

Sometimes you need to get it out your system, I have a CB600F, bought 5 years ago but not used it for 2 years, Had bikes on tracks when younger Greeves challenger scrambler lovely fast bike on the dirt, few Bultaco's etc

anyway going to sell it this year as I would like to use my old 1938 Indian V twin for the more calmer plod !!

Mike.

Is that a similar model to the one in the excellent film "The World's fastest Indian"?

You do need to get it out of the system. Bikes are off limits for me at the moment but I have several friends with bikes and you can hire them!

My good lady did her bike test last year aged 41

she has a red Suzuki Bandit 650

4 months in the garage due to the weather but now out and about

CBR600 was the other choice

Heads turn when she turns up at a biker stop and takes her lid off !!!

people cant believe shes an accountant during the day !!!

Whilst on the subject of bikes .... anyone remember Junior Kickstart on BBC1 sunday afternoons (roughly 1980-85?) but now they seem to be socially unacceptable. My oldest boy whos nearly 10 has got a Honda Monkey bike which was 50cc but i put a 90cc from a Honda Moped step through and it flies, centrifugal clutch but good fun. As someone else has said "helicopters spoil the fun" as theres nowhere to ride them now without the police confiscating them ffs. I understand they can be annoying to some people but a little bit doesnt hurt.

I read about them new bikes which are electric. How dangerous is that, bike is capable of well over 50mph but silent. No thanks

RevJamesIs that a similar model to the one in the excellent film "The World's fastest Indian"?

You do need to get it out of the system. Bikes are off limits for me at the moment but I have several friends with bikes and you can hire them!
Yes That's the one, the same used in wall of death, 500cc, and the BBC adverts, foot clutch, lever gear change on tank, solid rear end, belonged to my father

Regards, Mike