Any thoughts on www.economy-radiators.com?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen of this learned forum,

both at home and work we rely on electric storage heaters for winter warmth. We have an immediate need for 1 new heater at work and a local spark has suggested these as an alternative to conventional night storage heaters:

Electric Radiators | Electric Heating | Economy Radiators

Now the leaflet (and website) look impressive but I am a stickler for 'known' established brands and was leaning more towards a traditional Dimplex storage heater.

Any input appreciated

:D

I have read a little more and it's looking daft - they use power all the time.

At home we use more than 50% of our electric at night rates.

Have another look at the picture......

The reason the very pleasant looking lady is warm....

Is because of that big roaring fire in the background!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^O :slap:slap:slap:slap

Nowt to do with the heaters...

All i hear is customers raving about this type of heater, not this particular company. Fit a fair few storage heaters but not this type as yet.

Apache - I heard about a new heating alternative that are electric radiators which you might like to take a look at. They were being shown on the Ideal World channel and are called Energitech. You can find these at the link below. Currently they are only being sold through Ideal World.

Search

They can also be wall mounted. It would be interesting to get an opinion from the pros and distinguished members on this.

Regards,

martyh

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all I am not affiliated to The Economy Radiator Company, I have however been using six radiators purchased from this company. I think some people are missing a salient point which is that although 1500W heater is still a 1500W heater, it's how the heat is dissipated that makes the difference and these radiators disspate the heat in the same way that a central heating radiator does. Having used these heaters for a year I can say that the statements made on Economy Radiator Company's website are correct and that the running costs for heating and hot water for me have been cut by a third in comparison to central heating. I can also say be aware of the power used by electric radiators, although proved to be cheaper to run I would not just plug them into a mains socket. If all my radiators turn on at the same time, and they can, then I would be looking at a current draw of 28A, bear in mind that the ring mains is fused / tripped to 30A that does not leave much for any other electric device. Reality is, yes they can be cheaper to run but you do need to add additional wiring to your dwelling in order to run them safely

Heat Pumps are far more efficient and save you lots of money on leccy with a cop of 3-4 to 1 if you want to think outside the box...
That may be true initially after a switch on but

I spoke to a contractor last year who did these

and he said that the COP falls to 2-3 in winter

caused by ice on the evaporator.

I'm not sure if this will be of any use to you, but I've been hugely impressed with Haverland electric heaters and get regular raving reviews from customers. Has anyone else come across them before?

Last edited by a moderator:
CEF tried to sell me something similar a few years ago.

I'd love to see some independent evidence that they save as much as they claim to.

Even if they genuinely do save a third running costs it'd still take something like 2 years before they pay for themselves.

based on: 1kw rad (costs nearly £300) compared to 1.5kw rad saving 500W /hr over average of 6hrs / day for 365 days.

where 500W costs 6p/hr x 6hrs x 365 days = £131

Not convinced

thinking of buying a house with no gas supply at prescent, im thinking of throwing some piping in and leaving the f+r's under the floor at every radiator for now, and trying somthing like these, or even the rointe alternatives. i have played about with the idea of getting an electric boiler and a new cylinder too. has anyone else tryed the large capacity water heaters like these: http://www.rointe.co.uk/water-heater-rd-series.html im just looking into viable alternative to a immersion heater.

Latest posts