Anyone Experienced Racism ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I find unacceptable is ,  because I live in what was a highly industrialised city , it attracts incomers.

I believe it began with the Industrial revolution ..   poorly paid  agricultural workers moved to the cities for a better paid lifestyle .   Theres many Brummies trace their families to places like Chipping Camden ...rural Warwickshire  etc .

When I was a child 70% of our teachers would have been Welsh I reckon  ,  not so many Scots ...but millions of Irish in Brum .   Everywhere I ever worked , every factory , building site ,  players at Aston Villa were Irish .      I never experienced racism ,  no one thought all those Welsh teachers should sod off back , never heard anything of the kind .

And I have heard a million times , in a race discussion , or specially after the B,ham Pub Bombings when a small percent of Irish  had taken to running down England    at every opportunity..........  the Irish guys I was talking to always said they would never run down England ...they had found employment here when they had no future back home    , they had been welcomed here ...they had raised their families here ...many  served in the British forces .   

Nothing was quite the same after  that November night 1974..but thats where terrorists win ..with one dramatic action they cause a massive sea change in public opinion .       Same with the Muzzies after 9/11 .

Geordie is the  best accent in Britain !   

Just way heying  Pet.
When I was working up there I was met with nothing but kindness

and a generous spirit.  I nearly had an affair with a married woman.

.......I walked away from it.  I always did and always do.

What i was suprised by the other day is,  you can get a Kuran app for your mobile.

Nothing wrong with Geordie land!!! Used to live in sunderland when i was a kid, right next to roker park. Loved it there and miss it soooooo much. People there are so much kinder and, well, just better... It is like going back 40 years, but in the nicest possible way. A few months ago, I walked past houses just round the corner from where i lived when i was a kid. In some of the windows they had great big model ships, some 3 or 4 feet long, beautiful things. Try that here and you would have your window broken and that is the last you would see of your boat.

Went for a walk round the streets, midnight on a friday night, not a speck of trouble, nothing. There were some people camping with a fire on the beach, walked right past them, not a word.... Try that at Barry and you would just get a foul mouthed drunken tirade.

There were these boys kicking a ball about on the prom at about 2 in the morning, again, not a murmur from them as i walked past.....

When i was a kid, as i say i lived right by the football ground. Even in them days the streets would be packed with parked cars on match day, but again, no trouble at all..... well. just a little bit..... Me and my sister, for some inexplicable reason, used to go round and steal the valve caps off the parked cars. We would have like a bag full of them!!!.....So, if in about 1970, you went to see sunderland at roker park, and your valve caps went missing, it was me.... Sorry........

john..!

Hi Technician,

I think they were built after i left sunderland [1971 ish] cos all that was there in them days [so far as i know] was the old streets and the docks. [i was only about 9 at the time] Sunderland has changed a lot since then, my school has been demolished and all sorts done or changed. Had a job to even find where my school was it has changed that much!.. Sunderland was a hugely busy hive of industry in them days. Just think, i could have been a redundant shipyard welder!! I take it you live in sunderland, or know it really well???

My Grandad used to take me to Penshaw monument and tell me stories about the Lambton worm!! [Whatever that may be!!!!]

john...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with Geordie land!!! Used to live in sunderland when i was a kid, right next to roker park. Loved it there and miss it soooooo much. People there are so much kinder and, well, just better... It is like going back 40 years, but in the nicest possible way. A few months ago, I walked past houses just round the corner from where i lived when i was a kid. In some of the windows they had great big model ships, some 3 or 4 feet long, beautiful things. Try that here and you would have your window broken and that is the last you would see of your boat.

Went for a walk round the streets, midnight on a friday night, not a speck of trouble, nothing. There were some people camping with a fire on the beach, walked right past them, not a word.... Try that at Barry and you would just get a foul mouthed drunken tirade.

There were these boys kicking a ball about on the prom at about 2 in the morning, again, not a murmur from them as i walked past.....

When i was a kid, as i say i lived right by the football ground. Even in them days the streets would be packed with parked cars on match day, but again, no trouble at all..... well. just a little bit..... Me and my sister, for some inexplicable reason, used to go round and steal the valve caps off the parked cars. We would have like a bag full of them!!!.....So, if in about 1970, you went to see sunderland at roker park, and your valve caps went missing, it was me.... Sorry........

john..!
Tut Tut  Apprentice  ,  you got that wrong back then!!         I lived by Villa Park .....same thing on matchday  ,  streets full of cars , nose to tail .  

We did the  " Mind yer car Sir?"  thing  as they parked . If they said yes  you had a sixpence coming when they returned .   You would average about 6- 8 cars  so  earning  4 shillings (old money)    Twice your pocket money!!

At half time , by law , all the gates would be opened so the trick was to wander in for free,  then in  loud voices say "  Oh dear we can't see,  we're not tall enough  "    No seats then and the crowd would propel us to the very front  to watch the second half .  

At full time , dodging through the crowds back to the cars we were "Minding"  and rewarded with a sixpence , sometimes more if their team won .      

Just thinking , times change ,  it didn't matter if , when you got to the front , all the supporters there  were Liverpool  say , no one would harm you .

There was no aggression before or after .

And many supporters would ,  the following week when Villa were away ,  go to watch Birmingham City  or  WBA.   You wouldn't see that  these days !!

It's a common question up here:  "Who do you support, Celtic or Rangers?"

The answer of "neither" or "i'm not interested in football" does not seem to compute. you HAVE to support one or the other.

Many years ago I was working in the JL Grove factory in Cumbernauld ( where they make the JLG orange and cream cherry pickers, booms etc). We were stopping in some digs at a place called ( i think ) Crief. Went to pub at night. I cut a bit of a dash, being a style victim you understand, in my Barbour Green jacket, green cords, yellow ish sweat shirt. Got a couple of pits and started a game of Pool. The lad i was with kept his coat on and was sweating like a rapist. When I asked him why he informed me of the allegiance of the Pub...looking around there were tricolors and pics of the Pope etc.

My mate had his full Rangers kit on under the coat and was too scared to take his coat off. I was too naive to realise this

Just saying

My Dad was from Sunderland and I did hear the song of the Lambton Worm.

I heard a lot of other songs, many of them profane.  Thus, I will speak no more

of them.

Which is worth keeping;  the Angel of the North or the Penshaw Monument?

Well, would have to penshaw monument!! Not saying there is anything wrong with the angel of the north, but what makes me laugh, is when they go on about the "sculptor" of the thing. We all know that the "sculptor" did no more than turn up, with basically, a sketch on the back of a fag packet, and Hartlepool Steel Fabrications did the rest!. I mean, they even had to do the proportions of the thing to make sure of structural stability. Sculptor my arse....

Tis in the same league as the muppets that smugly say to you "We built this house" I always say;"Aww, did not know you could lay bricks, whats the difference between english garden wall bond and flemish bond?" They then look foolish and have to admit they did no more than phone the builders.

I might as well claim i designed the national grid everytime i switch a light on!!!!

I used to live very close to the beach in sunderland, it was wonderful, the footy ground was about 200 yards in one direction, and the beach about 500 in the other. Was a brilliant place to be a kid!!! Beach about a mile and a half long with lovely sand, and a permanent funfair about a mile down the road!!

john...

A very good friend of mine was a foreman at a brick manufacturing place.

He was damned good at his job and everyone knew him as Dick.

One sunny day at the yard a lady opened the window, leaned out and

called across the yard.

" I want Dick."

Everyone stopped work.  After that he was called Richard.

Canoeboy said:
 haven't seen the other…..
Not altogether sure but I have a suspicion it was

modelled on the Acropolis.  I only say that because

the architectural styles are similar;  Doric order to

the columns and Peristyles.

The Acropolis had a roof; before it got blown off.

The Penshaw Monument never had one. AFAIK.