Assessment Jobs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Electric

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new around here, so if this has been asked on numerous occasions I appologise.

I'm looking into starting up on my own. I'm looking at Napit for registration. They want to see existing jobs, but obviously I am not part P registered yet, so of course I would not be carrying out domestic installation work! lol

How have other people got round this before?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andy,

That's what I intend to do, I just need some advice on which jobs I should show them.

I remember when the whole part P thing came about, I was building a conservatory on the back of my house. I applied to the council to make sure I didn't need need planning permission. They said all was fine, but I needed to notify them if I was wiring sockets in there. I told them I was, I was doing it myself, They asked if I was qualified, I said yes, They said, quote, you are allowed to carry out the work in your own home without notifying them.

To be honest, I really don't think the bloke knew what he was talking about!

That was the early days of part p. Still a farce as far as I am aware.

hello and welcome neil,

what you need to do is, compleat 2 jobs, 1 minor works and 1 larger instilation, idealy a ful rewire, though you could wire in a extention as long as you go into the cu and ad a circuit you will be ok, i did a cu change for mine (in my house).

this said i would phone them and ask exacly what they want from you and im sure they will be helpful, after all they want your cash!

paul

If you phone up the LABC local to the jobs they may waive their fee if you tell them its going towards your Part P assessment.AndyGuiness Drink
dont bother even doing this! (i did and gloucestershire lbc still wanted 375 quid) so i just got on with the job and notifed it as my first job. they wont ask to see anything from the LBC.

but ofcause its up to you how you want to do it

Hi, my first post. I did as Paul B B did. I went with Elecsa, did a cu change and kitchen ring,cooker circuit for assessment, downloaded blank eic from elecsa site, filled in results, had assessment then notified through them as first job.

Cheers for the replies chaps,

I have absolutely no intentions of ringing the local building control.

I will be speaking to Napit to ask their opinion on the required jobs. I was just intrigued to find out how other sparks dealt with this. Let's fall back and regroup here, I'm registering to sign my own work off, the fact I'm graded as a Site Technician with the JIB has no impact here. Napit want to see 2 examples of my work. How can they? I'm not Part P registered!

My only answer here, to keep within the law, is to show them some industrial or commercial jobs I've done because they aren't covered by Part P!

It just seemed a bit hypocritical to me.

Cheers for the replies chaps,I have absolutely no intentions of ringing the local building control.

I will be speaking to Napit to ask their opinion on the required jobs. I was just intrigued to find out how other sparks dealt with this. Let's fall back and regroup here, I'm registering to sign my own work off, the fact I'm graded as a Site Technician with the JIB has no impact here. Napit want to see 2 examples of my work. How can they? I'm not Part P registered!

My only answer here, to keep within the law, is to show them some industrial or commercial jobs I've done because they aren't covered by Part P!

thought they HAD to be notifiable domestic jobs?

Napit want to see 2 examples of my work. How can they? I'm not Part P registered!My only answer here, to keep within the law, is to show them some industrial or commercial jobs I've done because they aren't covered by Part P!

you cannot show them works that arnt part p, you need 2 domestic jobs (or 1 with elecsa) to show, to keep within the law you should go through LBC but in theroy, dont bother as you will notify them when you are with them.

the work you show must be yours and have your signiture on the cert.

dont worry about it to much, most scams allow the first assesment to be carried out in your own home so change your cu and ad a light or socket

This is why I'm asking the question, I wasn't sure if the jobs had to be domestic.

I don't want to rip my consumer unit out as I only fitted it a couple of years ago, to the 16th edition (it's split load) when I renovated the house. Yes, I did the wiring, naughty boy, eh?

I'm sure when I discuss it with Napit they will come up with a solution, after all they do want my stealth tax!

Just do the work and the notify through the scheme once you are a member.

simples-200x200.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I had a letter today from Napit asking me to change from the NICEIC.

I must say I am impressed with the offer, no extra charges for PIR, Industrial or domestic work, forums and online help.

I would imagine if the NICEIC do not react favourably they may loose a lot of registered electricians to Napit this comming year.

Latest posts