Automatic Smoke Vent.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Ive just had an automatic smoke vent specced on a job. Its at the top of a stairwell in a block of flats.

Having never installed one before has anyone any pointers regards decent products?

On plan it is a rooflight window type not louvred if it makes any difference.

Ta muchley

If this was me then i would be getting the person who,wrote the 'spec' to tell me which one to use. Failing that then i would get a manufacturer to come up with a proposal.

Two,main reasons

1) how do i know which to use?

2) if it fails to,do the job correctly who are they going to blame?....my insurance cover is high, but NOT that high

Pass the can,,sleep,easier at night....you know it makes sense!

Just advising

The last one I came across was a standard Velux with automatic opener, this had a local supply to a small control box which had a back-up battery and wiring back to alarm panel.

yes, you will need a lot more info. Not only the type of vent but what control options? control panel? firemans overide? manual controls?

I'd definitely leave the design to someone who has done it before.

they are simple enough to install, speccing is a bit different, but after doing some research a few years ago I don't recall seeing any particular BS for sizing vents, but that may just be my fading memory! The ones i have seen have been mostly about 1m sq apart from in a 12 story block of flats that had side opening windows on every floor and a vent at the top.

Stairwells are sometimes pressurised using fans and the dimensions and modes of operation of smoke vents could be critical. If it's not your core business don't get involved in the spec. 

Only ever seen that in a large old building complex converted to flats with odd staircases and fire escapes - it was quite impressive, the control panel scared me off......had been called in to have a look.