Battery charging limit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,
Just after some advice please if anyone knows, so I've got a solis 6kw inverter with 3 x 5.1 batteries. Im charging them up overnight (1230-430) on octopus go. I originally just had 2 batteries and added the 3rd a week or so ago. When I had 2, they were fully charging within the time, so all good, now with 3, I'm not quite getting fully charged. From the inverter spec, it's says max battery charging 3kW but mine seem to be maxing out for charging at 2.5kW over the 4 hours, so obviously missing out on a little bit of cheaper rate. Is there a setting I need to change if so where abouts?
Cheers Wayne

Last edited:
2.5x4=10 kWh. 3x4=12kwh. Even at 3kw you can’t fill the batteries. Ideally you want 4 kw inverter minimum. Take a look at victron multiplus II 5000 or 8000 if you want to cover more of the houses peak loads and fill the batteries.

Not sure with Solis but with the Growatt and victron can set battery charging max rate in the web interface. You may need installer access.

Hoping to play with some Solis kit next year

Evening all,
Just after some advice please if anyone knows, so I've got a solis 6kw inverter with 3 x 5.1 batteries. Im charging them up overnight (1230-430) on octopus go. I originally just had 2 batteries and added the 3rd a week or so ago. When I had 2, they were fully charging within the time, so all good, now with 3, I'm not quite getting fully charged. From the inverter spec, it's says max battery charging 3kW but mine seem to be maxing out for charging at 2.5kW over the 4 hours, so obviously missing out on a little bit of cheaper rate. Is there a setting I need to change if so where abouts?
Cheers Wayne
Peak of 3kw doesn't necessarily mean it can run for hours at that setting. I would have a read of the manual, it maybe a case of the installer has set a lower limit.

So i was looking at wrong manual, to me it says 5kW. So must be a setting to change it, would it be a default setting so you think.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221226_215634_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_215634_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 0
  • c14786646a62938fc436c2ee67aa7829.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just to add to what I've found in the settings the default charge is 50A, the recommended charge rate of the battery is 50A but can be 75A , so if set to 68A I would get fully charged batteries, am I going to do any damage though in your opinion?

Just to add to what I've found in the settings the default charge is 50A, the recommended charge rate of the battery is 50A but can be 75A , so if set to 68A I would get fully charged batteries, am I going to do any damage though in your opinion?
I dont see why you would damage your batteries youre reducing the charge rate from when there was only 2. Do remember that as they approach 100% the charge rate will reduce and ideally they need some absorption time at the end of the charge with the constant voltage applied.

Latest posts