Bending Springs for plastic conduit.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question but is there a problem with using a heavy guage spring on standard conduit?

pipe may not shape properly (plastic might kink a bit). warming it up a little first (bit friction) will help though

but then the difference in spring size isnt much so may not be a problem

not sure but is there also an issue with heavy duty conduit compared with the standard type ??

some springs are not compatable

(he says thinking that he maybe talking from his bottom)

Blushing

Best method is to warm the conduit by friction before bending, this removes the ridges you sometimes get when cold bending.

However its not really a problem depening on what cable you are going to use.

What do you call Standard conduit ? There used to be light gauge and heavy gauge Hi-impact, the springs were different, bigger for the light gauge. I'd forgotten about the light gauge as my wholesaler only sells the heavy gauge so only one spring to worry about.

I have no idea why they ran two types , the light had a thinner wall and needed a thicker spring.

Deke

What do you call Standard conduit ? There used to be light gauge and heavy gauge Hi-impact, the springs were different, bigger for the light gauge. I'd forgotten about the light gauge as my wholesaler only sells the heavy gauge so only one spring to worry about. I have no idea why they ran two types , the light had a thinner wall and needed a thicker spring.

Deke
light gauge then is what i meant :coat

i must admit to having problems with plastic conduit , i have 4 springs in the van , seems to differ with the make of conduit, red end on the spring for one gauge and green for the other. i`ll check later which way round, as everyone else says rub like crazy before bending.

never get those problems with good old steel.....

i must admit to having problems with plastic conduit , i have 4 springs in the van , seems to differ with the make of conduit, red end on the spring for one gauge and green for the other. i`ll check later which way round, as everyone else says rub like crazy before bending.never get those problems with good old steel.....
you cant beat a good rub ;) :^O :^O :^O :^O:^O:coat