Bond or no bond

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffematics

Reaction score
I have just finished a new build and was wondering if i should bond the gas pipe the meter is at the bootom of the garden and the supply pipe is plasic and the pipe from the meter to the property is also plastic it then glands to copper pipe which goes up the wall through the loft to the boiler i didnt bond as the pipe does not go in the ground niceic says there is no need to bond but i thought i would get a second opinion

Matt

should be bonded where it enters the property, (within 600mm I think)

if you wish to comply with 7671 that is,

otherwise just put a deviation on your cert.

First why do we bond?

Is it to ensure that any exraneous metalwork liable to introduce a potential, including an earth potential into the installation "equipotential zone" has a common earth reference point?

If so, and the internal copper pipework is connected to a polymer incomer, how can this introduce an earth potential into the location?

Anyone?

Even if an extensive copper pipework system (water and/or central heating systems for example) are not extraneous and therefore do not require bonding under 411.3.1.2, surely they still count as exposed-conductive for the purposes of 411.3.1.1 and thus require bonding?

Are you sure the gas pipe is plastic and not just plastic coated?

What resistance did you get from the pipe to the MET? If under 23Kohm then defo needs bonding.

Plastic pipes have been used on gas for years and water so maybe they will not introduce a potential to earth but the way I see it it is an extra safety measure if the cpc where to become disconnected at an appliance like an immersion heater if you have a 10mm bond to your metal pipework that pipework can never get to 240 volts because it will disconnect instantly due to 10mm bond. Wiring regulations change, I would not use 16th edition boards unless I put one circuit on RCBO before 17th edition came in then 17th came in and you technically should not have one RCD which is commen sense. I have been to jobs were people have got belts of sinks due to faults in kitchens now if they had been supplementary bonded this would not have happened but that was taken out in 16th edition. We are now relying on RCD's rather than main bonding which to me is a big mistake. A few people will die and the regs will change.

I have to go with Batty here. Bonding isn`t dangerous; and would say that 411.3.1 covers either eventuality. Why not bond it? I don`t really understand the dilemma.

It strikes me as similar to the discussion a few weeks ago r.e. earth rods on a TN system. A couple of people postulated (today`s word!) the theory that it was against regs. I can`t remember if the discussion was ever resolved; but I know what I`d do in the situation; as I do in this one. There is an incoming gas service. Irrespective of the material of construction, IMO it ought to be bonded.

KME

Probably out of My depth in this post, but recently there was a coroners inquest into a mother who was found dead in her bath by her toddler son. One of the attributes was a lack of safe bonding apparently. So dont know if this has any bearing on this thread at all?

AndyGuinness

An absolute tragedy.

Now the article quotes:

The main earth bond to the entire home had corroded though - meaning there was no earth in the event of a fault to ground lethal voltage.
and

The 35-year-old volt trip switch to the main fuse board was not working
Assuming this was an old ELCB don't they require an intact earth to function anyway?

Just proves how un-reliable the Volt Ops are, I can not understand why it is only recommended as Code 4 in the BPG for PIR if it operates on test button.

The Loop hole in Law must be sorted out regarding Landlords responsibility.

Did You note the Landlords comment in the Daily Mail report comments section?

"Why should we have to do safety checks house owners don't have to do etc...."

Unbelievable!

They take good money of Tenants who have a right to a safe home I say.

An absolute tragedy. Now the article quotes:

and

Assuming this was an old ELCB don't they require an intact earth to function anyway?
If it was voltage operated which it says it was this is the reason they where banned because the damn things don't work.