Books for lighting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an apprentice and my weakest area is understanding how lighting circuits are wired (Especially 2 or more gang switches with various feeds etc in).

I was just wondering if there was a book that anyone would recommend for me that covers the wiring of lighting?

Thanks!

books and diagrams will help. once you have the wiring brain on board it will come natural.

Try drawing out 2 2way switches wired in conduit with a switch wire at one end and feed at the other and 2 singles inbetween. Start with that work it out, then go for a twin at one switch with a 3 core between.

Good advice there Kiwi, and as Sellers says , draw the circuits , you'll soon get the gist of it , nothing difficult in lighting circuits really.

You might need to be aware of how the different switches operate , that will explain a lot . I can't remember how to post a drawing on here but a one way just opens and closes, on a 2 way the common terminal changes between L1 &L2 . An intermediate has the strappers in each end and when it switches it crosses them over .

Someone will do a sketch you can bet on it. If not I'll do it tonight , just been called out .

Stay with the Forum , you'll get a lot of help on here.

Switching is not to differcult all you need to remember is a light needs l/n and earth to work although obviosly it will work without an earth. The live needs to be broke someway otherwise it will stay on permanently. Generally on two or three way switching you will use a three core between switches and the live to feed these switches and switched live will be at one end of the switching or the other and cannot be taken from the intermediate or middle switch or switches. As for actual wiring of these switches there are plenty of diagrams in the downloads. I know it sounds easy when you are doing it day in day out but I think really that is the only real way you learn is by doing it. I will admit it took me quite a few attemps to get my first intermediate switch to switch off but thats life.

Thanks for all your help guys! You never fail to deliver! I will definitely draw out circuits when I do them on site.

Another quick q. My boss was doing a 4 gang switch a few months ago and I had a look in there after he'd done it and all the common terminal were linked together with a short piece of brown 1.5.

Is this to give power to all the individual switches?

Thanks!

yes, the feeds to all 4 switches, must be on the same circuit.

Kiwi , what I meant was , at home , set yourself a task to work out , say a 2way and intermediate circuit , on paper . Its still a different kettle of fish when you come to it in practice but you need to know the basic circuits.

On house bashing you would normally loop a T&E cable from one light to the next (L&N) and then a T&E down the the switch and theres your basic 1 way . Called 3 plate wiring.

With conduit your lives would loop between the switches , neutrals between the lights.

Why didn't your boss show you what he was doing in the 4 gang switch by the way?

As Betty said , it would have been one live ,looped to each switch and four switch wires away to four different lights or rows of lights.

Latest posts