box sinker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose man

Reaction score
Does any body use box sinkers as i thinging about getting the kit just thought if they are

worth getting

thanks moose man

For using on breeze blocks only lol anything harder and they're not much cop. I got the armeg one and only used it a few times when I'm lucky enough to be going into soft Walls which is rare as most are redbrick haha

Thanks for the quick replys guys

i got some work comeing up and walls are breeze block might still get one its proberly one of them tools not used very much but when you do its use full its and its armeg i have been look at

using a box sinker may be quicker but it makes more mess/dust

not really worth the money......

i get on well with the armeg, got the set with the channleing chisel and hard material chisle,

have used it on brick and its not so great, but on breeze i find it works very well (most of the walls i encounter are breeze) and it saves me a lot of time especialy if you have a few to do as you can drill all the holes change bit to core them all out then go round squareing them off. nice neat holes also

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the armeg one wouldnt be without it, do quite a few extensions and new builds so get used fairly regularly as theres plenty of thermalites about.

using a box sinker may be quicker but it makes more mess/dustnot really worth the money......
it dose make a fair bit of fine dust, i have a dust collector on mine which grabs most of it but even with that it gets dusty, the channling chisel chucks a bit of mess out too, but thats not a bad bit of kit for getting behined coving ect

Last edited by a moderator:
Waste of money just as easy with Sds drill
I woiuld disagree with this statement if you have thermolite walls with an SDS drill you will end up with a bigger hole than necessary and a right mess the box sinker is a lot quicker and does a decent job. They have there uses and depending on what work you do they may be a waste of money but i have one and on contract work they are quite a time saver.

I woiuld disagree with this statement if you have thermolite walls with an SDS drill you will end up with a bigger hole than necessary and a right mess the box sinker is a lot quicker and does a decent job. They have there uses and depending on what work you do they may be a waste of money but i have one and on contract work they are quite a time saver.
using a 300mm chisel you can get it fairly neat, and takes half the time, depends if you are doing a refurb if so the plaster will be following you 99% of the times i bought a box sinker and couldnt get on with it

Thing is most buildings that i work on are thermalite these days because of the better insulation qualities so box sinker comes in handy. I think they do save time but as always it personal choice.

first time on here lads very grateful for letting me share some of your excellent knowledge thank you mauriceirons

I just bought a new set which look a lot tougher than armeg, they are a English company called quadcut i think, I got them off eBay and they are cheaper than the full monty armeg, I will let you know how I get on with them, but have used the armeg before, and on thermilite they are fantastic, and very neat, I just used to do them all at the same time so I didn't have to keep changing the bit, worth it if your do a lot of work with soft block defiantly.

I've also got the quadcut box sinkers, seem welll made and very sturdy. Watch out for the drill bit in the circular cutter coming loose, if it comes loose the drill bit tends to snap. The manufacturers suggest putting a little loctite or similar product on the two litle grub screws that hold the drill bit in place. Have spoke to the company about the issue a couple of times and they were most helpful.