Business name...????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
Hi All.

I was wondering if when starting on the self employed road and picking a name for the business, do you have to register the name somewhere.

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Macca

If you are trading as a small business don't think so. If you are a PLC and listed at companies house then you do. You might want to see if the domain name is free on the net?

I'm no expert. Think KME's your man

Hi apache.

Yes I will be sole trader, with my name Electricial services. Don't think I'll go public limited just yet LOL

Maccca

Ah you can come up with a better name than that

how about?

AAAAAAAAAAAAArdvark Electricians? (first in the phone book)

Some bright spark

Light up your life

Poles-arn't-us

:D

yeah took me a long time to come up with this one....LOL

Guiness Drink

Guinnessdrink ( Nope it didn't )

just checking to see if it works with the correct spelling

Guiness Drink

Macca

Hi All.I was wondering if when starting on the self employed road and picking a name for the business, do you have to register the name somewhere.

Macca
as Apache says not required as a sole trader..

But yes if going LTD...

The only thing you would need to do is open a business bank account with your new zingy top of the pile new name as the account name..

so if someone writes you a cheque .. to the business name..

you can cash it!

Or you will need to make sure all cheques are payable to you personally!

If you do open a bank/acc they will normally do as

["Your Name T/A Business Name"]

which is you 'trading as' your business name.

that way any cheques payable to You or the business name can be paid into that account!

Evenin` mac....

As Spec. & Apache corrctly note - no registration necessary -BUT

It is worth chucking the intended name into search engines, government house, findanelectrician etc., to ensure no one in your vicinity has the same (or VERY similar) name.

I prefer to have the business in its own name, as its own entity., Think of it as a new member of your family. Needs attention, but must be ruled and controlled, else it can take over!

HTH

KME

(knackered after last night`s 6 hour nightshift) (after 7 hour dayshift) & further 6 hours today!!!!!!!

Going up the wooden hill shortly!

Socket to Me

Home Power

Wired Sole (a la Fat Face, Wierd Fish, White Stuff)

Domestic&Garden Electrics (a la Dolce & Gabbana)

<pet name here>

.. sorry ideas getting worse :|

again thank you all for replies and comments.

I will open an account with my name trading as xxxx

Guiness Drink one of these to all

Macca

On the issue of name I'm not entirely convinced about the many arguments, but......

Beginning with 'A' has it's advantages (no further explanation needed).

Other than work comes in from many other areas, AFTER you have started out..

B-)

I reckon you should chose a name that stands out amongst all of the others in the Yellow pages. Most electricains here aren't very good at advertising themselves so the average punter is reduced to sticking a pin in the book as there is no way of deciding who is a good bet for the job they have in mind.

Can I just add that I added a mission statement to my company website & this has proved to be the deciding factor for a lot of my business clents.

Good luck in starting out on your own mate, it's hard, but well worh it in the end.

Nige. :)

Again thanks for all replies comments.

to be honest i didnt want to go for a gimmicky name. I am just happy with my name electrical services. However i dont think ( but maybe I'm wrong ) that many people choose a company just by its name. when I'm looking for a trade/type of business/etc i will look in the yp or phone book and look for one thats local to me. I just can't see myself calling a company 20miles away cos the name sounds good. thats just my own opinion. The main reason i started this thread was to find out about registering or not as the case may be a name of business. As when starting self empployment you must notify tax office. i didn't want to get 6 12 months down the line and get a letter to say that i shoul have registered it somewhere. With that said it has been good to receive good wishes and good points of views

Macca

Consider joining the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) - it's a very helpful organisation.

Look carefully at business bank accounts. Some will charge for depositing, withdrawing, direct-debits, and every other little thing that they can..... consider the logos that the banks use and draw your own conclusions on their business practices and friendliness towards small businesses:

Lloyds TSB is a black horse - think Richard Turpin's steed,

Barclays logo is a vulture,

NatWest logo is a graphical anagram of a swastika. There is actually a branch of NatWest that was featured in Metro newspaper about a year ago that has a swastika symbol inlaid into the floor. IIRC the branch is in Liverpool. When brought to their attention by a concerned member of the public, the bank pointed out that the symbol is of Far Eastern origin and not associated with evil. Try tell that to someone who has had harsh treatment by NatWestX(.

HSBC is an abbreviation for highly suspicious bank charges (and in the old days when they were Midland Bank, their logo was the Griffin - a mythical bird of prey).

It's not all bad......

Co-Operative Bank certainly is, and good ol' Abbey's logo was the loving couple walking hand-in-hand (with Abbey now being owned by the Spanish Banco Santander, I guess that the female half of the Abbey couple is now Juanita the bonita senorita!).

But back to the serious stuff....

Abbey Business Banking is free, and the FSB have an arrangement with Co-Op Bank for free services on their business banking.

Pyro.

Consider joining the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) - it's a very helpful organisation.Look carefully at business bank accounts. Some will charge for depositing, withdrawing, direct-debits, and every other little thing that they can..... consider the logos that the banks use and draw your own conclusions on their business practices and friendliness towards small businesses:

Lloyds TSB is a black horse - think Richard Turpin's steed,

Barclays logo is a vulture,

NatWest logo is a graphical anagram of a swastika. There is actually a branch of NatWest that was featured in Metro newspaper about a year ago that has a swastika symbol inlaid into the floor. IIRC the branch is in Liverpool. When brought to their attention by a concerned member of the public, the bank pointed out that the symbol is of Far Eastern origin and not associated with evil. Try tell that to someone who has had harsh treatment by NatWestX(.

HSBC is an abbreviation for highly suspicious bank charges (and in the old days when they were Midland Bank, their logo was the Griffin - a mythical bird of prey).

It's not all bad......

Co-Operative Bank certainly is, and good ol' Abbey's logo was the loving couple walking hand-in-hand (with Abbey now being owned by the Spanish Banco Santander, I guess that the female half of the Abbey couple is now Juanita the bonita senorita!).

But back to the serious stuff....

Abbey Business Banking is free, and the FSB have an arrangement with Co-Op Bank for free services on their business banking.

Pyro.
v-good! :^OApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Had'nt even started to think about bank account yet, will just use personal account for the moment until i have time to get into town.

Macca

Had'nt even started to think about bank account yet, will just use personal account for the moment until i have time to get into town. Macca
In short mate - don't! A business bank account doesn't take much opening. The banks need your business!

See this thread

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1615

It makes most of the points about keeping money seperate, looking professional etc

Some banks won't allow you to use a personal acc for business

; \

Applaud Smiley

Thanks for the link to previous thread Apache.

yes it certainly makes sense to have a seperate account and I will now sort it out sooner rather than later.

Guiness DrinkHave one on me

Macca

Latest posts