Busy or not ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to stay busy, instead of advertising as electricians advertise as handy men, this way you will get all the notifiable work that is ignored by such people and maybe some gas safe work as well. ]:)

I have tried the buy British stuff but some British goods are actually made overseas, its hard to get good home grown stuff and we are still the best at it.

Here's my little bit of career advice:

Sell up your over priced house in the south. Move to the Scottish Highlands where you will buy a much better house for half the money. If you are lucky that will mean you no longer have a mortgage and have some money left over in the bank.

No mortgage and savings, means you need a lot less money to live on. So you won't need to work as many hours as you used to. You may only CHOOSE to work part time and have more free time instead, or when things go quiet, you can get by only working part time.

We don't have part P up here, so scam providers and all the paperwork is one thing you can cross off your cost / stress list.

It's far less crowded up here, less traffic and traffic jams and a better quality of life.

That's what I did 8 years ago and thoroughly enjoying the better life and only working part time by choice. (means you can turn down the sh*t jobs)

You can't all move up here, and please don't move in next door to me and compete with my business, but seriously I can't see what kept me in the over crowded, over priced, over stressed south of England for the first 40 years of my life, other than the fact nobody had told me of the better life up north and it took me that long to discover it.

Here's my little bit of career advice:Sell up your over priced house in the south. Move to the Scottish Highlands where you will buy a much better house for half the money. If you are lucky that will mean you no longer have a mortgage and have some money left over in the bank.

No mortgage and savings, means you need a lot less money to live on. So you won't need to work as many hours as you used to. You may only CHOOSE to work part time and have more free time instead, or when things go quiet, you can get by only working part time.

We don't have part P up here, so scam providers and all the paperwork is one thing you can cross off your cost / stress list.

It's far less crowded up here, less traffic and traffic jams and a better quality of life.

That's what I did 8 years ago and thoroughly enjoying the better life and only working part time by choice. (means you can turn down the sh*t jobs)

You can't all move up here, and please don't move in next door to me and compete with my business, but seriously I can't see what kept me in the over crowded, over priced, over stressed south of England for the first 40 years of my life, other than the fact nobody had told me of the better life up north and it took me that long to discover it.
ROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

Expect a mass evacuation of England :D

Here's my little bit of career advice:Sell up your over priced house in the south. Move to the Scottish Highlands where you will buy a much better house for half the money. If you are lucky that will mean you no longer have a mortgage and have some money left over in the bank.

If you were advocating a move to say - Menorca then yes, I'd be first on the list. However, in a toss-up between my overpriced mortgage darn sarf or living with sweaty's then there is no contest - mortgage misery every time :run

pro dave hitch all the tug boats to england and tow it down next to portugal then i'll be there in a flash :^O

I know too many Scots down here that wont go back to tempt me up there, and what about the midges?!?!

I am a bit quieter than normal but am doing service work to top it up, have to say would go back to it like a shot. So easy and pretty much stress free.

Just had a letter from the company I work for saying thay have been successful in securing a large project in Suffolk.

Part of the letter:

"In securing this project the company has eliminated uncertainty of employment for many of its staff and operatives"

Thank god for that was starting to get very worried.

Sorry but I have trouble understanding the scottish :p

Not trying to be funny though, I actually do struggle with thick scottish accents

Sorry but I have trouble understanding the scottish :p Not trying to be funny though, I actually do struggle with thick scottish accents
Try working in Corby !!

Corbish as they are known

They are born and bred in Corby but call themselves Scottish

These people still throw stones at the moon !!!

Jesus man don't tell them all or they will all move up here. :p

Jesus man don't tell them all or they will all move up here. :p
Thanks for the advice , ProDave, I have passed the message round and as of Friday night there is a huge convoy of self employed sparkies gathering at J 6 of the M6 for the great migration north . Families and furniture loaded onto vans. Unfortunately they are getting a bit militant and are saying if there is any oppostion to them coming, could they meet them at Culloden for a chat. ; \ :innocent

You can almost hear the Scots thinking , can't you ..... " Oooo Och Aye ..I really wish we had a few thousand more English up here ... as we really like them .... Ooo Aye ... fine football team ye know... roamin all over the wee gloaming " :) O) ;) ; )

I have had a couple of good jobs in over the past few weeks, flloodlighting a garden, kitchen cupboard led lights, cu change, pir..........and some landscape gardening. Quiet times............................very quiet.

Even the agencies are slow.

And yet looking through the local rag its full of adds stating qualify in 8 weeks and earn 40k a year. What a load of s*it.

I hope things pick up for all of us soon chaps and ladies as its driving me mad. All the money i have spent on my van, tools, insurance, advertising, uniform, stock, testers, ladders, steps, qualifications is not adding up to the current monthy turnover.

It went the same last year to i recall.

Other options currently being considered.........suggestions welcome.

Rant over and good night xx
that is why its all quiet, one of the main reasons anyway IMO, too many 5dayers doing a ****poorjob for peanuts so we cant feed our kids.

Sorry but I have trouble understanding the scottish :p Not trying to be funny though, I actually do struggle with thick english people
me too,

me too

I have upped my advertising, but am still ticking over- making less dosh than I was when I was employed, but just about paying the bills

Must admit- had thought about working down south (the prices here are 30% lower than England. for rewires etc)

Don't have a problem with anyone from a different place - had a Pakistani guy out for work experience , had a good sense of humor and became 'one of the boys'.

No Part P in Scotland either ROTFWL

I have upped my advertising, but am still ticking over- making less dosh than I was when I was employed, but just about paying the billsMust admit- had thought about working down south (the prices here are 30% lower than England. for rewires etc)

Don't have a problem with anyone from a different place - had a Pakistani guy out for work experience , had a good sense of humor and became 'one of the boys'.

No Part P in Scotland either ROTFWL
I used to have a very good standard of living whilst being employed, Its great being my own boss but there is not enough around.

My mother lives in scotland, I might start advertising up there! ROTFWL

that is why its all quiet, one of the main reasons anyway IMO, too many 5dayers doing a ****poorjob for peanuts so we cant feed our kids.
Too bloody true.

I have just lost a kitchen company contract to one of these chancers who charges them 70 a day.

****ing unbelievable.

Heard some bad news im afraid!

Mate of mines a chartered surveyer, he says there office has been given a big expensive report thing which reviews and predicts about recision and construction. Basicly he said the report suggests a double dip recesion is to happen in the industry and things are unfortunately to get worse before they get better.

This is apperantly due to the tories getting in, who are going to boost housing construction and try and get more homes out there. However this is going to be offset by the massive cuts in all other areas of public services etc etc. So altough work will be created building more housing, overall there will be less work, all of which will have a ripple effect throughout the industry.

This is just a report/prediction/review, whatever, but its a big company and he says they paid big money for all this info. Lets all hope its wrong! doesnt fill you with optimism. We can only carry on doing what we do best and hopefully we should all be okay soon enough.