C&G 2330 - 206 Practical Exam tomorrow!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yid0

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I've got my exam tomorrow, and due to an inadequate tutor - who I'm happy to say has now departed from the college - I'm not fully prepared. I have to do an installation comprising of a consumer unit below some steel trunking, with a two-way lighting circuit above (with steel conduit) and a ring circuit below (with four Twin 13A sockets and PVC conduit), there is a length of SWA coming into the consumer unit from an isolator switch. I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions for me...

1. What size cable should I use to bond the steel trunking, end/junction boxes for the lighing and the armour on the SWA? (I'm thinking 2.5mm)

2. Do you have any tips for terminating SWA at an exact length, or is it a case of guesstimating?

3. Do you recommend any order for doing the work? Apparently, most people struggle with the SWA, so they tell you to do that first... or should I do the wiring of the lighting and ring circuits first as I'm confident on that?

Cheers for any help :)

1: depends on a few things - including size of SWA etc

2: place SWA to where you want it. mark where armour needs to be cut. cut armour at that point and rest as normal

3: others probably have a different opinion, but once your confident with something, move on to something your not. i can easily manage SWA, pyro etc, so i tried to use any extra time on steel conduit (which im still not that good at!)

Cheers Andy.

Also, if it's a two-way lighting circuit with two separate metal junction boxes for the two ceiling roses; do I have to connect the bonding conductor to both boxes or just one?

And does it matter where on the earth bar I connect the three bonding conductors? I was just going to put them in after the ring and lighting circuits.

I hoped they would, but considering how poorly the course has been run so far, I'm not confident. I'm going into this without ever having practiced the bonding, or wiring up the breakers, or wiring up the isolator switch. Probably sounds like simple stuff, but when you haven't done it before it can be quite confusing :(

Hello mate

I carried out the same exam on 06/06/09. I was pretty worried about it beforehand and

it sounds like the same type of installation we carried out.

I found it best to get the steel conduit and then the armoured cable out of the way and then leave the lighting circuit and ring circuit till last.

We didn't get the full allowance time of 10 hours so are finishing on tues evening but

I found it ok and don't have much experience with conduit and armoured. Sure you

will be fine.

Welcome to the forum Stace.

And Congrats on your first post. :)

Cheers Stace, I think I'll get the armoured out of the way first and work upwards.

hi chaps,i've got my exam tomorrow, and due to an inadequate tutor - who i'm happy to say has now departed from the college - i'm not fully prepared. I have to
lol, we must be in tha same class, good luck to us :D

Hi yidO , sorry to hear of your concern about your practical exam , did you do any pre planning in the class room ? as you should have done a stores requisition sheet listing everything you need for the job in question . steel conduit for lighting and pvc conduit for sockets . 4mm swa 2 core and I'm sure we used 4mm cpc from consumers earth bar to a fixing point in the trunking and as a fly lead from the swa gland to the earth bar in the isolator . think methodically and it will all come to you ( so they tell me ) good luck to you

Hi yidO , sorry to hear of your concern about your practical exam , did you do any pre planning in the class room ? as you should have done a stores requisition sheet listing everything you need for the job in question . steel conduit for lighting and pvc conduit for sockets . 4mm swa 2 core and I'm sure we used 4mm cpc from consumers earth bar to a fixing point in the trunking and as a fly lead from the swa gland to the earth bar in the isolator . think methodically and it will all come to you ( so they tell me ) good luck to you
Just got back from the exam. Started at 9am and finished at half 5. I THINK I got a distinction, but I won't find out until next week. Got the installation done with no problems, although the SWA took me a while. Yippee.

We had further tests this evening in safe isolation, rcd testing, voltage and current measurements in 240v and 400 volts systems. Also look out for voltage drop questions, wasn't prepared for that, going to have to revise some more on calcs. Star - Delta diagrams also so a fair bit to think about.

Hope your practical went ok.

hi all

from what i can tell the dodgy tutor thing is common with this corse no matter where your learnig, myself have had 6 practical tutors since starting the corse and we're on number 7 (who struggles with the english language). the problem i have is that i've been half taught dead testing and testing by all of them (not good) and now i'm bricking my practical exam on wednesday.

if any one can lay it out in laymans terms for me this would be a great helpPray:(

Welcome to the madhouse calladogg. if you get the on site guide, it does has some diagrams of testing and what order etc they are to be done, which may be of some help. if there is any specific part of the testing your not sure about, ask away and someone will be able to explain in more detail

nice one andyc going to try and get one tomorrow fingers crossed(still bricking it though)

nice one andyc going to try and get one tomorrow fingers crossed(still bricking it though)
Celladogg, welcome to the forum, if you get stuck theres plenty of guys and girls who can and will help you out. :)

You are allowed to take your OSG into the exam. All the testing is in the back set out in relatively straight forward terms.

Latest posts