Cabbles And Currents

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopeh David

Reaction score
Hello....I want to know how to calculate current that passes through

1.5mm2

2.5mm2

4mm2

6mm2

10mm2

16mm2

Etc thank you

Do,you mean

How much current a cable can carry?

Or

Do,you mean how much current goes down a cable for a given load?

Two VERY different things

4mm is rated under certain circumstances and conditions at 30 odd Amps

It is easy to get that down to 16A by letting it go through insulation.....have a look in the book

Just saying

Hi Hopeh,

The only way to know how much current a cable will carry, is to ask the makers of it. You must remember though, that this is a nominal figure, it all depends on the temperature, and how the cable is installed. What i mean is, if you put the cable in a duct in a hot place like Ghana, it would not be able to carry as much current as it would out in the fresh air here in cold britain. [it is to do with the heat the cable can safely be allowed to reach]

I "THINK" you would be better off finding out about the effects of "volt drop" You see, you might think a cable will carry, say 30 amps, but if the cable is 300 metres long, you might find that where you started off with 230V, you now have only a fraction of this left. This means that to carry your 30 amps 300 metres and still have 230 volts you might need a very much larger cable. Do you understand what i mean??

john..

Here are some charts you might find interesting..

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470998373.app4/pdf

john...

Well having just joined the forum, and read just this one thread, one can say that tbph it's no better than the IET forum, the regulars just belittle 'joe bloggs' after answers, blinding them with P=VxC, and I=V/R, etc, anyway, hello and welcome from North Wales people.

Hi Lurch, and thank you for the reply, Er, maybe treat people with a little respect, you know, the people that post here are after a bit of help I would imagine, Soooo, either give it or give up.

Yes we have the skill (I'm NICEIC), but heh, I'm still actually a nice guy that doesn't look down his nose, I was there once!.