Cabling For Cctv

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told that I have to install CCTV in a property that's currently being refurbished.

It'll all be plastered by the middle of next week and I need to get the cables in before then as one of them has to pass through a room... all the others will be run in the voids at all times

So, not knowing the type of camera (hopefully dome) or if they're going to be PZT or not... What's the best type of cable to install??

Shotgun or Cat5e & baulns (will they fit in the back of a dome camera?)?

I think there will only be 4 or 5 cameras

TBH its a PITA

It's a large property near me that the refurb was started in January.... With all that time why tell me with a week to go before plastering when they've had the last 7 months to way something.

They also want an alarm.... That'll have to be wireless

Last edited by a moderator:
I`d go both; unless they`re letting you spec. the camera system.........in which case, you can choose ;)

( in most cases baluns will not fit inside a dome housing, in my experience........)

If the cameras are static domes, I usually run Cat5e and i use these small genie baluns, it's snug but i have four spare cores if I want to run that to another small static dome or keep purely for spares. PTZ cameras i use two core/coax shotgun cable and run telemetry through coax.

I'd run shotgun.......if customer wants PTZ cam, then you can fit a samsung cam which will send the RS485 down the coax...no need for cat5.

You will need samsung dvr and ptz tho!

I wouldn't fit crap like alien/cyborg/nite devil and all these other silly companys that rebrand chinese dros....

Fit samsung ,you'll not go wrong!

Matt

Use RG59+2 only with Samsung DVR/ PTZ...no need for RS485....self configuring.......forget all the UK rebrands like alien/ cyborg/ system q and all that nonsense....

STICK WITH SAMSUNG!!

you can put and alarm cable 6..022 it is very economical and you have too much good image

I'd use composite (Rg59 + 4 cores) that way if the wanted to go for HDSDI or a ptz they can have it.

I'd the customer isnt that bothered and are lettinf you spec the kit the likleyhood is they

... They aren't that bothered about what's installed and just want CCTV