CalCard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My NICEIC assessor pulled out a CalCard with great pride when I had my assessment. I may get one for my next and do away with the Megger!

Holy cow, that was quick. I only pm'd you my address yesterday and its already arrived!!!!!!

Thank you very much @megger mark,  I'm afraid it'll have to wait a while before I get a chance to look at it as it's my daughters ROA today and we're going to Amsterdam on Monday

why didn't we get all our Euros last week :(

What pees me off is that the company now work for paid for a top of the range all singing calibration unit, and my assessor pulled out a friggin calcard!!!

Not only did he pull it out, he was proud to be an owner!!

i use a DIY test box that does everything a calcard can do along with earth loop & RCD times...
if it does earth loop, I assume it is plugged into the mains, so you must be using the same socket to keep consistent results. Why not just use the socket?

Also, why have a test rcd? Best to test your home RCD periodically, surely. Or your work extension lead RCD. And work extension lead Zs.

Last edited by a moderator:
its plugged into mains, it always uses the same socket, but it has some 50w resistors on it to increase the resistance by a known amount a few times, so even if its plugged into a different socket of if Zs changes, results will change by the same value. it also has an RCD spur for testing RCD times. previous to that,i used the RCD adapter on my extension, but i made it all in one instead. (that RCD still gets tested everytime its plugged in anyway)

just don't see why use a test rcd and Zs test box when you have an extension lead and rcd which you rely on to perhaps save your life. Sounds like you don't have rcd protection at home/office where you do tests.

just don't see why use a test rcd and Zs test box when you have an extension lead and rcd which you rely on to perhaps save your life. Sounds like you don't have rcd protection at home/office where you do tests.

i have a workshop. no requirement for RCD's. the 13a sockets in workshop have an RCBO, but they are rarely used since i own very little that has a 13a plug, but none of the 16/32a sockets or office sockets etc have any RCD. the main reason for having an RCD in the box was to keep everything in one box