Camera Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Morning all.

We are currently installing a CCTV system as part of a project we are involved in. There is no spec for the system as such. I am planning on installing one of the Alien DVR's along with 600TVL IR internal dome cameras.

I also require an external camera to view the car park. The client wants to be able to read car number plates at a distance of approximately 30-40m. Can anybody recommend a suitable camera?

Cheers

GS

System Q who make the Alien range have one of the most helpful bunch of staff i know. There book and website also shows pictures with  distances and lens sizes of exactly what you are looking for. I would  look there first.

A 12mm lens is normally the largest on compact cams but that will only get plates up to about 20-25m. I think   you will need a full size housing with a camera fitted with a 20mm varifocal lens .

Last edited by a moderator:
Cams who can read plate are very expensive even the ones that you can pause and read the plate clearly are expensive

Expensive? I've installed one which allows number plates to be read at 80m. Cost circa £400 (ptz dome). Protecting a yard containing stock worth about £250k.

It's all relative.

System Q who make the Alien range have one of the most helpful bunch of staff i know. There book and website also shows pictures with  distances and lens sizes of exactly what you are looking for. I would  look there first.

A 12mm lens is normally the largest on compact cams but that will only get plates up to about 20-25m. I think   you will need a full size housing with a camera fitted with a 20mm varifocal lens .
Do system Q stock a suitable cam?