Can I move the fuse board etc?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmcguinness

Reaction score
Hi All

I am buying a 1940’s semidetached house that has a very old fuse board. We have budgeted to change the electrics but my question would be can we move the meter fuse board etc from in the box on the ground to up high so out of reach of children etc? If yes would this be a lot more money?

Relocation upwards may be feasible - I would recommend you ask a couple of local sparks to give you prices

BUT

Given the service head and meter can't easily be moved, wouldn't boxing it in a cupboard be a more practical solution?

The cables that come out from the meter to supply the consumer unit are your responsibility and ownership...

So basically you can do anything you like with all wiring distribution and accessories, connected to them.
(providing it is done in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations and building regulations.
There is nothing within BS7671 or building regulations prohibiting the relocation of a consumer unit.)

But, the main suppliers fuse and meter do NOT belong to you, and you are not allowed to do anything with them..
Incoming supplies can be moved...
but it typically involves a lot of expense paying the DNO to alter their supply cable & service head.

As mentioned, unless you are planned alterations that require that bit of wall to be knocked down,
The most cost effective solution would be a nice neat and tidy cupboard around it all...
Maybe with a lockable door to stop unwanted fingers poking and prodding stuff inside.

Last edited:
That is a large service head for a dwelling which appears to have open entry holes in the top, quite a few entries.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think about the DNO owning the other parts so appreciate the help and support. We will keep it where it is now and look to modify the cabinet its located in rather than moving it.

thanks

1 - You can move your conumer int to a higher level not exceeding 1.8m from floor to the highest operating device. Obviously you would upgrade to an 18th Ed consumer unit and get a test certificate.

You need to remove the power company fuse to do this so you have to get a DNO appointed electrician or get the power company to disconnect and reconnect. THIS IS NOT DIY!!

2 - You can get the meter moved to a higher position by your electricity supplier - there will be a cost and they will insist on a Smart meter

3/ - You can get the DNO to move the service head, but it looks like an old cast tron unit with tape armoured cable. It will have to be dug up outside the house and jointed to a new section of PVC concentric cable service cable to enter the house. As this will involve an experienced lead cable jointer - it will be expensive - _ would suggest a ball park figure of £2000 - £3000. A lot of money for non-tangible results - get a quote from the DNO. It is not a job for DIY or even an approved electrician - it has to be done LIVE by the DNO.

Would definetely recommend moving Consumer unit to make it more accessible and less likely to damage.

Hi All

I am buying a 1940’s semidetached house that has a very old fuse board. We have budgeted to change the electrics but my question would be can we move the meter fuse board etc from in the box on the ground to up high so out of reach of children etc? If yes would this be a lot more money?

Yes you can as long as your meter tails do not Exceed 3mts.

The MCB dolly’s between 1350 and 1450 is in Part M of the building regs which applies to all building work, the only allowance to existing properties is that it can be no worse with regard to compliance than it was before the work with regard to the heights of accessories and consumer units

Latest posts