Central heating doesn't automatically switch over

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rin

Reaction score
Where do I start as I know nothing about central heating systems and may not make alot of sense but here goes... I moved into my house a few years ago only to discover that my heating/hot water does not work how it should. In colder months if I need my central heating on I have to go under the kitchen sink and pull a little lever to the top to which allows water through the pipes and into my radiators, the thermostat in my living room does not work, so I cannot control the temperature in the house!! Then when the weather gets warmer and I want my heating off, I have to go through the same procedure and move the lever down.

I had British Gas cover for a while and they could not solve the problem and didnt seem to know what to do, I had a few engineers out and they only managed to change the thermostat in my living room and it still didn't work. X( I also can't understand why I don't have some sort of control to decide if I want just hot water with no heating or visa versa or both. :C My system is really old but can't afford to change it

I always get blank looks when I try explaining it to anyone so I hope someone here can help...its gone on for sooo long :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know much either but a few questions to help others help you out. What make and model boiler, thermostat etc. the lever you have to pull is it a water shutoff valve? Sounds like its doing the same job as a two port valve. Sorry not much help but sure others will be able to help when they come on here this evening ? Good luck tho :)

Thanks for that. I suppose it does sound like some sort of water shut of valve doesn't it. But I really have no idea except if I want to turn my central heating on or off, thats what I have to do and its such a pain :( .....am at work right now but will post the boiler model details later when I get home. All I know is its old.

What little lever are you using? google honeywell two port valve does is the lever you are using look like the one on the back of it?

I've got the same setup in my house. Basically I have a single channel time clock and a mechanical valve to turn the heating on/off in summer. Without looking I'd guess you need a dual channel time clock and a motorised zone valve where your lever is.

It should not be too hard for a competent person to test & sketch out what controls are there and how they have been wired. Once this is know it can be established how the existing arrangement can work and/or how it would need to be modified to make it work in a different manner. The basic principals of controlling heating systems and diverting water to radiators or hot water tanks is not very complex, but there is no standard wiring method or colour code used. So they can all look different depending upon the preferences of the person who fitted it in the first place. I would have though approx half a days worth of investigations could establish exactly what you have got installed. Then other feasibilities can be considered.

Doc H.

Is the "lever" part of a plastic or metal box on top of the pipe with a wire coming out of it?

If so it's a motorised valve that should be operated by the thermostat but it has failed.

If the "lever" is literally just a valve then you have a very old system that needs upgrading.

As others have requested, a picture of the "lever" would tell us a lot.

If it is an older system without any proper controls, then it might not be possible to fully automate it without doing alterations to the plumbing and possibly even changing the hot water tank.

About 30 years ago a company called ServoWarm used to install a system where the system did indeed have a Summer/Winter lever.

All the rads had TRV's so you had a single channel programmer, no room stat and when it got cold you moved the lever over to winter, basically manual 3 port valve.

I have not seen these systems for ages, it was a basic cost cutter system.

The OP says he has a room stat though so sounds like a zone valve lever.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:34 ----------

Something like this,

.jpg]

Sounds to me like the motorised valve is goosed OR not moving enough to actuate the microswitch enough to fire the boiler/run the pump OR is not getting signal from stat. Any competent spark should be able to diagnose/confirm this within a couple of hours. Fettling may take longer if valve needs swapping or wiring is b0!!oxed... :coat

About 30 years ago a company called ServoWarm used to install a system where the system did indeed have a Summer/Winter lever.All the rads had TRV's so you had a single channel programmer, no room stat and when it got cold you moved the lever over to winter, basically manual 3 port valve.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:34 ----------

Something like this,

View attachment 3760
He's a She.

About 30 years ago a company called ServoWarm used to install a system where the system did indeed have a Summer/Winter lever.All the rads had TRV's so you had a single channel programmer, no room stat and when it got cold you moved the lever over to winter, basically manual 3 port valve.

Something like this,

View attachment 3760
He's a She.
Never spotted that bit, ooops