Changing a light bulb... yes, seriously.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAAMUSEMENTS

Reaction score
Friends have a bathroom light that is in the form of a globe, with a plastic base attaching it to the ceiling, and the bulb has gone. There is only one screw into the ceiling, and so any attempts to twist it result in the whole fitting turning, and any attempts to pull it downwards away from the base threaten to pull the whole thing down. There are no external screws.

They are about at the point where they are ready to smash the damn thing, so any ideas are very welcome...

Friends have a bathroom light that is in the form of a globe, with a plastic base attaching it to the ceiling, and the bulb has gone. There is only one screw into the ceiling, and so any attempts to twist it result in the whole fitting turning, and any attempts to pull it downwards away from the base threaten to pull the whole thing down. There are no external screws.They are about at the point where they are ready to smash the damn thing, so any ideas are very welcome...
There it is !!!!!!!

they are about a tenner to buy

go for it

i take it the globe has a thread on it that screws into the plactic rose, get your buddy to hold the base as you turn the globe, sometimes its better to tighten it first, that way it breaks the dirt seal that is making it stick (tip for getting painted over screws out too)

Unfortunately all of the above have been tried to no avail... it doesn't twist one bit apparently even with two people.

If its that stuck, the lampholder has probably gone brittle (like they all do) so put a bag over the globe and smash it. Then buy a better fitting ( i bet i could get it off without breaking it though).
You're not looking at your strongest ATM.........

:D

How about telling them its I.P rating is inadequate and it would be in the intrests of their own safety to welly it off the ceiling ! { I think they are in fact only IPX2 anyway }

How about telling them its I.P rating is inadequate and it would be in the intrests of their own safety to welly it off the ceiling ! { I think they are in fact only IPX2 anyway }
If it is IPx2 then it is indeed most likely to be inadequate, as it's very close to the shower curtain rail.

It was only fitted just over a year ago, as part of a full rewire, after their house was badly fire damaged. Seems like a proper Friday job though...

It might not have a thread I have seen those type with spring clips on the inside of the lamp and hold the shade on rather like the spring clips on a recessed light.

Latest posts