Chasing socket boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again

Back to finish 1st fix on rewire job today, builder already started making good,

a few pics to show oval conduit, also Temp builders board set up

HIGHEM 1ST FIX 002.jpg

HIGHEM 1ST FIX 007.jpg

HIGHEM 1ST FIX 008.jpg

HIGHEM 1ST FIX 006.jpg

HIGHEM 1ST FIX 005.jpg

Hi againBack to finish 1st fix on rewire job today, builder already started making good,

a few pics to show oval conduit, also Temp builders board set up
Nice to see the most important tool is there.

:put the kettle on

nice one tim. struggling to see the benefit of oval tbh :C

cost has to be significant more! ??

looks like you need good plaster depth to use too. hmmm ponders

When chasing into plastered walls its not so wide a chase required and chaseing machine set for oval width, and whatever is used needs to be deep enough to give a good cover or it will crack.

I do use capping on new walls unless builder specifies Oval, some don't like capping, as they try and plaster as thin as poss and it does not cover, or cracks.

As to cost well its all pretty reasonable if you buy right, and factor into your costings.

;)

When chasing into plastered walls its not so wide a chase required and chaseing machine set for oval width, and whatever is used needs to be deep enough to give a good cover or it will crack.I do use capping on new walls unless builder specifies Oval, some don't like capping, as they try and plaster as thin as poss and it does not cover, or cracks.

As to cost well its all pretty reasonable if you buy right, and factor into your costings.

;)
I use 20/25mm round conduit on rewires unless its fletton bricks. I find it much easier to get cables in and conduit fits straight in metal box so saves a grommit.

The only trouble with that vid tim is it shows chasing out of the block, not the brick next to it as well. :_| AndyGuinness
I know mate, if your doing rewires then its going to be an old property with hard brick where it won't cut the mustard.And new builds don't require that much chasing and box sinking, I don't think I could justify the money of one of these, that said I would like one in my tool box.

Be a nice quick job if it was all block. They make it look so easy. ;)

Not quite the same with brick, and blue brick at that. :(

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/products.jsp?id=50887&ts=30653and a decent SDS roto stop drill will chisel out socket boxes in brick in no time.

AndyGuinness
I second that Andy. Can't beat a good SDS drill. Even when chasing sockets in freshly decorated walls, if your careful you can do with perfect with an SDS. I have one of those scutch sds bits its a bit of a pain with the comb always moving around the holder.

I have a decent makita chisel set which i keep nice and sharp. Does the trick.