Choice Of Two Testers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteDel

Reaction score
Im looking at buying my first tester and have decided on a megger as that is what ive used in the past whilst doing my 2330.

ive narrowed it down to two, MFT1710 which ive seen for £552 inc VAT or the MFT1720 which is £792 inc VAT.

As I plan to be doing domestic work, more than likely only working on single phase do i really need the extra features of the more expensive model?

Just to throw a wobbly. I was taught on a Megger (they must flood colleges!) but bought a Fluke. 10 minutes with the handbook in front of your own CU and you realise how easy and intuitive it is. No "check the leads are in", it tells you etc. etc..

Just to throw a wobbly. I was taught on a Megger (they must flood colleges!) but bought a Fluke. 10 minutes with the handbook in front of your own CU and you realise how easy and intuitive it is. No "check the leads are in", it tells you etc. etc..
What model Fluke did you go for and what price range do they sell for?

Canoeboy said:
Whatever tester you go for please make sure you give Megger Mark a call as you will not get a better deal on price for instruments anywhere

See the link in my signature for his contact details

I like Fluke as well (1654)
Its actually his website that ive been looking at, just didnt know it was run by a member on here

What model Fluke did you go for and what price range do they sell for?
I bought a "previously cherished" Fluke 1652 off a well known auction site (fleabay) after contacting the owner.

My only worry (needlessly!!) was when I went to pay I discovered the seller was from the 'pool! :eek:

First tried it out alongside my mentor and his Fluke, all readings were virtually identical.

Oh, cost me £260 inc. p+p

I've also seen some bargains on a site called Preloved.

Hi There,

I would get the 1720, because it does the auto rcd test. Otherwise, testing an rcd is going to be awfully slow, considering there are several tests that need to be done. The auto rcd test function does them all in about 5 seconds..

P.S. I have got a 1730 and love it.

john..

must admit i think id curse a tester without a auto RCD.  

Even my Fluke 1652 can test RCD's without going backwards and forwards. I learnt this from KME it stores the tests so you do the tests reset the RCD and it will store the results until you switch it off. As for Megger Mark I actually need to replace my 1652 which is 6 or 7 years old he has given me a really good deal on a new Fluke 1652 which hopefully I will be buying mext week.

Always on the end of a phone or PM, feel free to contact me anytime :Salute

Batty are you replacing your tester due to its age or is there a latent fault within?

Had a scare the other week, my fluke came up with error 1, first time ever, wouldn't test a friggin thing. Anyhow a call to Fluke who wanted £206 + carriage + vat to repair it if possible if not, offer a replacement at list less 15%.

Thought don't panic, changed the fuse and hey presto she's as good as gold. Odd though as usually the word 'fuse' appears if the fuse has gone bad. Still have compared test results to other machines and seems fine.

Megger Mark if you could pass onto Frank that Fluke said that error 1 is a self test failure and that more often than not its a faulty fuse or low batteries. Seems obvious, although the machine has functions to alert to both these doesn't always do so, apparently can occasionally be a software issue.

might aswell get the 1730 its a sweet machine
Second that as you can test earth electrodes with the 1730 model but not the 1710 or 1720 which you would need if you have a earth electrode on a domestic installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Batty are you replacing your tester due to its age or is there a latent fault within?

Had a scare the other week, my fluke came up with error 1, first time ever, wouldn't test a friggin thing. Anyhow a call to Fluke who wanted £206 + carriage + vat to repair it if possible if not, offer a replacement at list less 15%.

Thought don't panic, changed the fuse and hey presto she's as good as gold. Odd though as usually the word 'fuse' appears if the fuse has gone bad. Still have compared test results to other machines and seems fine.

Megger Mark if you could pass onto Frank that Fluke said that error 1 is a self test failure and that more often than not its a faulty fuse or low batteries. Seems obvious, although the machine has functions to alert to both these doesn't always do so, apparently can occasionally be a software issue.
Mine blew the fuse 3 times whilst doing an RCD test each time saying fuse. It then came up with err1 the last time. I will try the batteries and fuse again but I think something has gone seriously wrong in side. I have had it a long time so it really is due to be replaced anyhow. Trouble is being the end of the month well actually gone and still not knowing what tax I need to pay I am being careful before buying another. I will definitely get another 1652 though it does all I need and the newer ones even do phase rotation which I do sometimes.

Noted Sharpend - However we have over time seen enough error 1 faults to somewhat take Fluke's contention that it is mainly the fuse with a pinch of salt, it is sometimes a firmware error but more often than not it is the more serious fault.

To put this in to context though we never did see a great deal of error 1 faults and we have seen none from the new 1652C, we see about the same fault ratio with Fluke as we do Megger which i would think runs at less than 1 or 2 % of sales with either.

I'm just thankful that mine wasn't fatal!

What is the difference between software and firmware? Are we talking the software is the programme it runs on and firmware is the physical elements?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts