chopping out tips!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekymukka

Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips on chopping out. I normally use my 36v Bosch SDS drill with a small chisel bit on the kango setting. I always use 35mm depth metal boxes these days to cover any accessory change in the future but Im find I'm taking too long boxing out and wondered if anyone had any tips. I really shouldn't be having to ask as I'm qualified for 15 years to c&g 2400 standard but what the hell it doesn't hurt to ask my fellow tradesmen.

i normally drill round the outline of the box with a 6mm sds bit with the depth guage on the drill set just deeper than the box then use the chisel attachment to break it out and clean it up .

just normaly use a 2" sctutch and my claw hammer, about 5-10mins per box, prefer to do it by hand, sometimes go a bit mad with the sds and shatter the bricks or go too deep.

Depends what in. But usually it involves drilling a few 6mm holes then hitting the area with the Armeg box chisel in the SDS. I don't bother with the Armeg circular cutter as only good for soft stuff IMO.

i use that circular cutter, works well for me, dont bother on brick as its too slow

New builds SDS with chisel or hammer and bolster for 35mm boxes, after all only got to go back 10mm or so.

Occupied(higher price)then more time spent chain drill and tap out with sds or by hand.

I just use a 2inch sds bit and never had any problems.

I usually go straight in around the edge of the box, then once the rectangle has been established and usually the plaster falls out. Then I tickle the brick out from all angles, hardly any pressure and plenty of angle on it so it doesn't dig into the brick.

SDS and 2", mark outline then chisel away. Scutch for SDS is on ma list

My method is use 25mm back box where possible - very often it's plaster depth so it saves time. I mark the rectangle with a floorboard bolster - find it easier to work with than an electricians one - then 2" SDS chisel as sellars. I finish corners by hand with a small chisel. To finish I rough fill with plasterboard or coving adhesive.

My pal uses his cordless grinder with a tile cutting disk which is very thin to cut the side and then attacks with the 36V Bosch like an animal lol and does a box in about a minute if its not red brick lol. Thats lived in or not with everything dustsheeted with polythene underneath normal dustsheets. They get fixed in with 2 screws using red plugs with no adhesive. My pal the plasterer sorts the rest on rewires of if its just the one ill fill it and redecorate if needed.

Them armeg box sinkers i think are only any good on breeze blocks ffs anything harder and its just knocking the drill out