code for undersized main earth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're not giving up are you spin? :|

i've carried this thread on because there are wrong statements in it, and i was hoping people would see that and think a little more about the subject,

not to be 'smug', 'smartassed', 'belittle people' or 'pointscore'.

i've read 4 recent threads touching on the subject of earthing and bonding and i'm surprised how many misconceptions and 'plain wrong' info has been posted ... and by older/more experienced members too.

firstly... this forum is setting an example to electricians who may be on their way to qualifications.... (2391 is especially 'nitpicky' about detail...)

so we must get the terminology right so that ppl don't misquote stuff.

so that's EARTHING CONDUCTOR and MAIN BONDING CONDUCTOR then.

544.1.1 is about sizing main bonding conductors .... that they have to be at least half the size of the associated earthing conductor. (and no less than 6mm(2))

(that's just for TT and TNS tho'.)

"I see that you have determined the PFC as 287.5A."

you've' misquoted me... i said MINIMUM pfc... (230v / 0.8 ohms = 287.5 A)

the TNS Ze value is likely to be lower, so the PFC is gonna be higher in your scenario.

"If you use the value of 287.5A in the adiabatic equation, what size fuse would the time characteristics allow the use of a 4mm

Don't quite see what your problem is Ian.

I'm not attempting to be a smartarse, to belittle anyone or point score.

You state that you want people to think a little more about the subject.

Have you considered, that I also want people to think about the subject.

The simple fact is, in the majority of TN-S installations, a CSA of 4mm

Don't quite see what your problem is Ian.

i've no problem spin. read the thread, i've stated my point.the OP and the contributors will have read it and formed their own opinions. you hijacked it with a scenario to try and force me into making an incorrect statement.

admittedly i played along. i thought it was all in jest. we both knew what you were working towards.

I'm not attempting to be a smartarse, to belittle anyone or point score.

you've misquoted or misread me again.... i never inferred you were, it was a statement about myself. (and you missed out 'smug')

The simple fact is, in the majority of TN-S installations.....

not all?.... room for error then?

The only way a CSA of 4mm