Colour blindness

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tateylad

Reaction score
Hi TEF,
My lad bagged himself an apprenticeship as an electrical installer. It's the only thing he has shown any interest in pursuing for a career (seeing as being a professional footballer is not a realistic option for him 😁). He has done several weeks work experience for his future employer and they are that impressed they offered him the apprenticeship.

He has got provisional offers on apprenticeship courses at 2 technical colleges. One of them, the apprenticeships are overseen by JTL. JTL wanted a colour blindness test carrying out. We had this done at the weekend and he narrowly failed (pass mark is 3 fails, he got 5 fails out of 12 slides). He was absolutely distraught as he thinks that JTL will now not allow him to join the course. We have had no notification from the other course provider that they need a colour blindness test but fear it may only be a matter of time.

His main concern is that he won't be able to achieve his dream of becoming an installer.

Are any of you lot colour blind at any level? If so, how has it hindered you? Is his dream over or is there a way round this?

The optician said the problem was a red/green differentiation issue. But he says he has no problem distinguishing the 2 in the real world. I'm no expert but am desperate to help because it was horrible seeing him as upset as he has been this weekend. I know I'm biased but I feel he would be a genuine asset to the industry.

Thanks for reading :)

Phil
Any update this as my lad just failed under they exact same circumstances with JTL ? Thanks

Split from hi-jacked post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now days I am sure there may be some kind of discrimination act that may apply.

Last edited:
Because it discriminates agains people with a sight impediment.

Regardless of what a colourbilindness test says, can he actually tell the difference between real world wire colours, i.e. red, yellow, blue, black, brown, grey, and green?

Before being accepted for my apprenticeship I had to pass a standard colour blindness tests, those things where you got a picture made up of different coloured dots and you had to read a number embedded in the image.

So if you failed to stop at a red traffic light on your driving test because you are red blind would you still pass the test, I doubt it and I doubt you could claim discrimination

So if you failed to stop at a red traffic light on your driving test because you are red blind would you still pass the test, I doubt it and I doubt you could claim discrimination
So you don't know the positions of the lights and the order they appear in? 🤣 That's why colour blindness does not exclude you from driving.

Regardless of what a colour blindness test says, can he actually tell the difference between real world wire colours, i.e. red, yellow, blue, black, brown, grey, and green?
OP said he could.

Do you think the fire brigade should employ 1 legged fire-fighters?
How about police employing wheel chair bound dog handlers?
Radio and TV presenters with Tourette's syndrome?
Pilots with vertigo?

The list goes on, it's not discrimination, it's health and safety / common sense practical approach to life.

There are plenty of colour blind electricians out there, it's down to what colours they cannot recognise.

All I would suggest is get an independent test done and if the colour range is suitable go back with that evidence.

It may just be that as in the other post your lad wasn't really trying as he thought it was an easy test.

Let us know how he gets on.

So you don't know the positions of the lights and the order they appear in? 🤣 That's why colour blindness does not exclude you from driving.
I never said you couldn't drive a case of you engaging your keyboard before properly reading the post and to mark the post as sad really definitely a room 101 case

Any update this as my lad just failed under they exact same circumstances with JTL ? Thanks

Split from hi-jacked post.
Hi,
As discussed in the other thread, my lad retook his Ishihara test and passed. Maybe it might be worthwhile your lad taking the test again now he knows what it entails and you can do a little practice online in readiness. I think my lad went into it a bit over-confident with an "I'm not colour-blind so this doesn't affect me" attitude the first time round

Unfortunately, I believe that if he fails, then JTL will not allow him to take an electrical apprenticeship. The whys and wherefores of this are not for me to discuss or comment on. If you've already submitted the fail certificate onto the JTL portal then contact them for further advice. If you haven't then let him try again (maybe at a different opticians)

Good luck

Phil.

Latest posts