Commercial Work To Domestic?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torquayspark

Reaction score
Hi, I am JIB Approved and have been an electrician for 11 years. In that time I have done minimal domestic work, mainly concentrating on the commercial side - railway stations, offices, banks, etc. I really want to start up on my own next year and was wondering how hard the transition to domestic work will be, as that is what I will aim for to start with. I mean I know how to install a ring, lighting circuit, etc, just feel a little out of depth when it comes to chasing walls, etc. I did a lot of solar PV installs on social housing earlier in the year but was all mainly MT2!

Any advice appreciated, thanks B-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where abouts are you?

the main obstacle to domestic in England and Wales is Part P so that brings the need to sign up with a scheme provider so you can self certify your own work.

IMHO, "the main obstacle to domestic" is the spur wearing types who undercut the professionals and don't leave a paper trail... Stick to commercial if you can.

You'll have no problems mate, I did the same transition. The electrical work will be a doddle, its just you may look blankly when someone mentions dot and dab.

Get yourself an sds drill with roto stop for your chasing.

Yes i am in Torquay :). I have SDS and all tools as I am self employed now and do agency work. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you're changing to house bashing ,80% of it is on bended knees so invest in and always wear some decent kneepads and facemasks for working in the vile layers of fibreglass in people's loft spaces.

And also you will be dealing with the stupid public for example like the one we have been dealing with for the last few months,.they had a rewirable fuse Consumer unit before us changing it and carrying a full T&E to make sure their installation was up to scratch.

Both him and her are both unable to understand why their new 17th edition approved dual rcd split Consumer unit keeps tripping out the rcds, after a few weeks we were asked to go back and it turned out to be very old cooker that had elements which were down enough to trip the rcd so she ended up getting a new one instead of a repair problem gone away, next time it was kettle element and then we have lamps tripping the mcb when they popped, They have now started to accuse us of being cowboys as we didn’t do a good job with the new CU its faulty they say and we never had this problem before you came, we say no its not it’s doing its job but can we convince them its good ? No we can’t .

Stay in the commercial side m8 lol

SDS scutch tool, dust mask, knee pads, all great advice and assed to my list, thanks. To Bryan, I suppose thats part and parcel with dealing with the public, some are open to new ideas/suggestions and some are most definately not headbang

I stick with RCBO boards less problems with nuisance tripping. You really you should point out before you change the board they may have problems if they have faults and old equipment. Its all about communication.

I've been dealing with the public for years and still can't get them to understand that an 8m crane won't reach over the house into the back garden however much they ask. Also that just because the gate is 9 foot wide, and the lorry is 8 foot 6, if the lane is to narrow to swing the thing round it won't go.

I've been dealing with the public for years and still can't get them to understand that an 8m crane won't reach over the house into the back garden however much they ask. Also that just because the gate is 9 foot wide, and the lorry is 8 foot 6, if the lane is to narrow to swing the thing round it won't go.
my my

if you ever work out how to explain stuff liike that to some folks please tell me and I will patent it. :D

I have been in transport for 20 years and not managed it, lol. i figured that at least with a forced change of career at least i knew what to expect from Joe public, lol

And also you will be dealing with the stupid public for example like the one we have been dealing with for the last few months,.they had a rewirable fuse Consumer unit before us changing it and carrying a full T&E to make sure their installation was up to scratch.

Both him and her are both unable to understand why their new 17th edition approved dual rcd split Consumer unit keeps tripping out the rcds, after a few weeks we were asked to go back and it turned out to be very old cooker that had elements which were down enough to trip the rcd so she ended up getting a new one instead of a repair problem gone away, next time it was kettle element and then we have lamps tripping the mcb when they popped, They have now started to accuse us of being cowboys as we didn’t do a good job with the new CU its faulty they say and we never had this problem before you came, we say no its not it’s doing its job but can we convince them its good ? No we can’t .

Stay in the commercial side m8 lol
A full explanation of this is included in our terms which are signed before we start the job. I alsotake time to explain about light bulbs tripping the circuit breakers & also how old or worn appliances can trip the rcd. I still get the occasional phone call about this and remind them of the chat we had.

Cant think why anyone would want to go from commercial to domestic. The commercial and industrial sector is better and less 5wws about :)
I would scoob you dude, but I'm scoobed out apparently! Like you, I think the OP wants his head reading choosing to go down the domestic route!

Depends how you look at it.

I spent 24 years doing Industrial and Commercial and while working in aircraft hangers I did my back in climbing up alloy towers all day, flying carpets were a luxury in those days. I decided to go self employed and do a mixture of it all, domestic IMHO is less stress.