Concrete buildings.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do work at a commercial premises. This is a concrete framed building with concrete purlins across the frame. I have always run the SWA's across the purlins. The asbestos roof is being removed and being replaced with an insulated metal roof. The armoured cables are going to need to be moved as they are going to be in the way of the new roof. Is there anything on the market for fixing wiring and other services to these concrete structures. Parts have been drilled in the past but if possible I really don't want to go this root. I probably can hang the lights from builders band but its fixing the armoured to the concrete structure will be the problem. Any ideas guys.

I was always led to believe that those pre-cast concrete purlins were not to be drilled .

If theres a lot of SWAs could you straddle the beam with threaded rods holding some Unistruts in place . Then run some tray on the Unistrut.

They are quite far apart the purlins its mainly the concrete frame that has been drilled. Originally it was wired in galv conduit but as its been split up bits have been rewired in SWA. Not sure how I can fix to the purlins. Other option would be wait until panels are in then cleat to the panels. I can put builders band over top of purlins to hang lights on. There must be thousands of these buildings about just surprised there are not purpose made things on the market.

If the perlins are that far apart you may be lucky if the roofers have to put in more to span the gaps

gripfill for a botch,

or for the real deal a hilti gun.

or as Deke suggested, some threaded rod bent over the top of the purlins, or even get some brackets fabricated up to match the profile of the purlin would be even more professional.

is there enough room for 25mm unistrut between the purlin and the roof? if so some short cuttings and threaded bar to hang some 52mm unistrut below the purlin.

The main problem is the new roof panels sit on the purlins this is why the existing cables need to be rerouted. I think I will end up getting builders band fixed over the top of the purlins to hang the lights back on and then hopefully fix the cables direct to the new panels as they are metal. They are filed with cellotex so this should be OK hopefully.

Im finding it hard to visualise TBH batty,

dont the panels sit on runners that go across the purlins?

Ive never seen cladding that sits across a 3m gap before without some sort of 'cross' support.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:01 ----------

oh, the metal in the panels is likely to be very very thin and NOT load bearing, I would doubt if you can hang anything from them.

Last edited by a moderator: