Consumer unit change and certification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so am i right in thinking that the schedule of inspections will refer to just the consumer unit change only??

put thing like the cable in the comments box

Although you are only changing the CU, you should still ensure there are no major deviations and the rest of the install is "ok".

I class cables out of safe zones as a major deviation and certainly would not just leave it and note it on a cert, which, as we all know, will never see the new owner if the house is sold in the future.

Although you are only changing the CU, you should still ensure there are no major deviations and the rest of the install is "ok".I class cables out of safe zones as a major deviation and certainly would not just leave it and note it on a cert, which, as we all know, will never see the new owner if the house is sold in the future.
But how would you know that on a cu change if they are plastered in the wall?

Because he has been made aware of it or seen it and is noting it on the cert.

Plus the fact this is the reason P was pushed through.

Because he has been made aware of it or seen it and is noting it on the cert.Plus the fact this is the reason P was pushed through.
Sorry missed that bit teach me for skipping through but only way these days with some other long threads.

so what would you do informoney, not energenise that particular circuit or decline the cu change.

Just to clear up the safe zone issue, i was told that a previous spark had located a fault chopped a small hole repaired cable and placed a single socket outlet just to cover the hole the owner believed the socket was not wired in. i have been back to the property to try and convince my mate to have a socket installed lower down, thus creating the safe zone and a permanent repair and plaster over where original fault was, however the single socket is in fact live and it creates the safe zone so the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the replies given me food for thought.

Mouse

An accessory, whether wired in or not, creates a safe zone. A blank plate could create a safe zone if required.

There is no legal requirement to bring the existing installation up to the current standards but building regs schedule 1 require it to be no worse in terms of compliance.

In terms of the regs we need comply with 131.8, 610.4 and 633.

The electrical safety council give guidance on this and basically states that a consumer unit should not be connected where code 1 conditions apply, though where code 2 or above conditions apply these need to be noted and recommendations made. So in effect you need to make a risk assessment and decide as to whether its safe to install the consumer unit or to connect the circuits to it.

There is no legal requirement to bring the existing installation up to the current standards but building regs schedule 1 require it to be no worse in terms of compliance.In terms of the regs we need comply with 131.8, 610.4 and 633.

The electrical safety council give guidance on this and basically states that a consumer unit should not be connected where code 1 conditions apply, though where code 2 or above conditions apply these need to be noted and recommendations made. So in effect you need to make a risk assessment and decide as to whether its safe to install the consumer unit or to connect the circuits to it.
Which, in effect, means that you should be doing quite a bit of 'Inspection and Test' of the installation before even starting a CU swap - otherwise, how will you know if any of these conditions exist?

I know some sparks, (and there will be some on here as well), who just turn up and crack on with the CU change........not good when you think about it.