consumer unit confusion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo what everyone else has said especially matt.l

but if I was a betting man and liked a bet...

Recessed boards are not that common these days so maybe its old, and he is wanting to replace it so may well be old, if its that old you may be looking at 7.029 which MAY look like 4mm, could be a redundant immersion or similar circuit but if the board is as old as the cable it would be 15 amp not 16 so my logic falls apart there.

Just guessing and let imagination go a bit.

Echo what everyone else has said especially matt.lbut if I was a betting man and liked a bet...

Recessed boards are not that common these days so maybe its old, and he is wanting to replace it so may well be old, if its that old you may be looking at 7.029 which MAY look like 4mm, could be a redundant immersion or similar circuit but if the board is as old as the cable it would be 15 amp not 16 so my logic falls apart there.

Just guessing and let imagination go a bit.
Highly likely that something like wozz has said has happened, any blank plates anywhere that could be covering something up?

But if it is a redundant circuit and you want to protect the cable ends in a connector block, does it really matter what the current capacity of said connector is if it is not in use?

Hi there, i'm confused and concerned with what i've come across today. I took the front off my recessed consumer unit to discover that there is a 4mm twin and earth cable with the line conductor NOT terminated into an MCB. The only available MCB for it to be terminated into is a 16 amp type B, the neutral and cpc are both terminated in their correct places (earth & neutral bars). But i dont have any circuit in my house which requires a 16 amp MCB. I dont want to terminate the line conductor for fear that it might make a circuit live. Should i put a connector block on the conductor, and what amp should it be? All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks
Well if the cable is disconnected there arnt going to be any amps....

So I would use a Zero Amp one if you have to put something there..

What does the description on the front of the fuse box say the 16A was doing?

The old Immersion heater before you had a new boiler fitted maybe?

Your opening sentence..

"I am Confused and concerned" means ONLY one course of action..

Ring for a competent registered electrician to come and have a look & check things are safe...

There is very good reason that ALL good electrical instructions say...

"If in any doubt consult a qualified electrician".

Tis what you need to do my friend!

;)