cooker circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
evening all,

friend recently had kitchen fitted and was screwing back socket of the cooker switch had a look in and it had a 6mm in and out to the oven, but also had a 2.5mm on the load side going to a switched fused spurr behind the cupboards which also had a cable in the spurr which went to the ignition for a hob is this normal? the cooker point also had a socket on it too i presumed it would be on the socket circuit for the kitchen but didnt seem to be as i quickly looked again is this normal? just asking out of curiosity really.....

thanks very much for replies:Y

thanks for that mate so its also perfectly normal for the socket to also be on the cooker switch. even tho the socket circuit isnt feeding that socket? like i said there was only one 2.5 and that was feeding the spurr behind the cupboards on the load side of the spurr for the hob

thanks again appreciate all replies

A socket was often added to the cooker plates , well, just to give an extra socket I suppose, then it became a problem because the disconnection times were different for fixed appliances and socket outlets so cooker switches ,generally, had no socket, just a 45A DP switch.

off the top of my head i don't know the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm t&e but i think its only 27A so probably wrong as the cable isn't correctly fused but as already said it'll never be an actual problem. either way it's not something i'd do personally as i'd run the hob spur off of the kitchen socket circuit with a visible spur in line with the sockets and a cable outlet point in a more suitable location for the hob.

just googled it and clipped direct 2.5mm T&E is 27A but refB is only 23A.

the only issue i can see is the length of cable before the fused outlet is only rated at 27A max but is on a 32A or 40A MCB, is this not against the regs? i know the place i work for would have me for it.

the ignition will not draw enough current to overload the 2.5mm

yeah i know this, as i said i think this to be a mere technicality but one that could get people into trouble. its like putting your upstairs lighting circuit wired in 1.5mmT&E on a 20A when the cable is only rated at 16A, you might well be drawing just 500W on it so a load of 2A but you still have a cable rated at 16A backed up by a 20A mcb which doesn't conform to BS7671.

those of us that work for large companies with well setup electrical departments where they check up on work done could well be in trouble for doing something like this.

i'm not wishing to start an arguement with anyone, i just wish make sure everyone is safe and legal :)

what about a ringmain 32 amp mcb, take a spur off this in 2.5 either at the origen off a socket or jb, u have the same situation, this is in the regs

what about a ringmain 32 amp mcb, take a spur off this in 2.5 either at the origen off a socket or jb, u have the same situation, this is in the regs
Very true Tom. Guinness

i might get shot down for this, but if its a fix load and disconnection times can be met voltage drop within limits, cable capable for the load. then i think its ok

just spoke to my mate who made another point which is the kitchen ring seems to be wired on a 16 amp mcb is this ok guys ?

just spoke to my mate who made another point which is the kitchen ring seems to be wired on a 16 amp mcb is this ok guys ?
can't see it being dangerous, might trip more often then not

are u sure its a ring not a radial, how many sockets does it feed

i will check this for sure but think it feeds about 10 ,all hes told me is there are 2 x2.5 cables at the fuse hes belled a couple of sockets out and is getting continuity

2.5 ring feeding 10 kitchen sockets on a 16 amp mcb, :eek: like u say double check. but if it is, then its not much to fix it providing the ring is correctly wired

thats a good point about spurs, as i said i'm not saying whats right or wrong just posing questions and thinking about it a spur off of the ring is no different to a spur off a cooker circuit where both are on 32A MCB's :)

thats a good point about spurs, as i said i'm not saying whats right or wrong just posing questions and thinking about it a spur off of the ring is no different to a spur off a cooker circuit where both are on 32A MCB's :)
this forum is a great place, u can ask anything, and post your opinions, some people will disagree with post but 99.9% of the time everyone is

happy to help,

not mock for asking simple questions

points are debated not aurgued

there is a broad spec of people here, experianced, vets , diy, new starters, apprentices commercial and domestic.

if u dont know something or are unsure then its better to ask, i do all the time. and the odd occasion if i know something i am always happy to help.

i have learnt alot from this forum and am happy to pay it forward

there are other threads where this has been mentioned already

yeah i know this, as i said i think this to be a mere technicality but one that could get people into trouble. its like putting your upstairs lighting circuit wired in 1.5mmT&E on a 20A when the cable is only rated at 16A, you might well be drawing just 500W on it so a load of 2A but you still have a cable rated at 16A backed up by a 20A mcb which doesn't conform to BS7671.those of us that work for large companies with well setup electrical departments where they check up on work done could well be in trouble for doing something like this.

i'm not wishing to start an arguement with anyone, i just wish make sure everyone is safe and legal :)
take a look though 433.2 & 433.3, in particular, 433.3.1 (ii) & (iii)

i've noted those numbers down and i'll look them up monday morning in the van when i have access to my regs book :)

Latest posts