cooker needs own feed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
Hello chaps...

just been to look at a kitchen refit . they are having a microwave, oven and plate warmer in one section.

Cooker is 3.6 kw

microwave 3.2 kw

plate warmer 400w

would you run a separate feed for each oven and spur for plate warmer or run 6mm in for all?

Hob is 7.4kw so that will have its own feed.

also place was rewired about 5 years ago and kitchen ring is not on own circuit. its basically the ground floor. am I ok regigging the kitchen sockets without seperating from the rest of the ground floor?

Thanks chaps

What plug is on the microwave? I presume the cooker is standard install I.e. via cooker switch and connection plate at low level?

they dont have the appliance yet, kitchen guy has everything.

hob is to the richt about 2.5 meters away from the ovens

im also guessing microwave id hard wired in as a plug aint going to take 3 kw

Last edited by a moderator:
cookers up to 15 KW should be alright on a 32A

why not run the lot off the same supply?

oven and micro in tower unit next to hob? all within 2 meters of the switch, as for the micro see what instructions say it might just need a 13A fuse or if not hard wire it

one thing that might catch u out is the instructions might say 15 amp fuse max for the micro, i posted about this a while back some said ignor it as no need for overload protection others say follow instructions. what make are the appliances?

Last edited by a moderator:
If microwave is 3,2kw then your just shy of 14A

13.9A if supply voltage is to be taken as 230v.

I'd like to see you explain when the plug eventually melts, (as I've seen happen before, won't be straight away but will get nice and warm over time) that you ignored the loadings in the instructions and on the plate which will no doubt be on the back of microwave!

So your saying but put it all on a 32A supply?

my thinking was to run a 2.5 for each on a 16a breaker

or 1 6mm for both.

i was just wondering (as i dont have my book to hand) if it was a reg that a oven over a certain kw needed its own circuit (as a water heater does) i just wanted to confirm what i was doing would be ok

the micro i said check instructions, as its prob a micro/ grill ect but cant all be used at same time so will never be 3.2KW but like a said check instructions and see.

yes i am suggesting one 32A supply

I'f you have capacity to split them up I would but like Tom says cooker and microwave would be ok on same supply aslong as final connections were obviously rated accordingly.

the micro i said check instructions, as its prob a micro/ grill ect but cant all be used at same time so will never be 3.2KW but like a said check instructions and see.yes i am suggesting one 32A supply
Sorry Tom just re-read I thought you were referring to hob being on 32A supply along with micro and cooker!!!!

Sorry pal:eek:

no need to be sorry mate,

i was on about all on the same 32 amp supply. not enough detail on the install but 32amp supply should be good for up to cookers 15KW

Yes i had a similar install, & on-site-guide does state what tom1 is saying; cookers up to 15kw 32amp supply, it highly unlikely that everything will be on full belt at the same time.

Cheers

So cooker, microwave, plate warmer and hob on 32A supply?

I can see no reason why these wouldn't all be on at same time!!!

It's a kitchen and I dunno about you but Christmas dinner for one takes some cooking lol

That's about 63A in my book if you cook my way! Hot as you can lol

Or you not taking hob into account?

why not fit a lovely grid fed from its own 4mm radial, each item having its own 20A DP switch, nice and neat, range of covers available

Load is 31.3A @ 230v

4mm up to 33M clipped direct Max 37A, VD 11.4 (4.9%)'Ambient 30'C