cooker off ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbital

Reaction score
3500w single oven.

Needs to be hard wired. The current oven was on a 13A plug, off the kitchen ring.

Not ideal I know but was thinking of removing the socket and replacing with a CCU, maintaining the ring and connecting the oven to this.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

3500w single oven.Needs to be hard wired. The current oven was on a 13A plug, off the kitchen ring.

Not ideal I know but was thinking of removing the socket and replacing with a CCU, maintaining the ring and connecting the oven to this.

Any thoughts.

Cheers
NOT COMPLIANT

You will need to install a dedicated cooker circuit

20 Amp radial would be adequate (Max 5 kWatt)

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

m4tty can you tell me where you get this from please?
BRB Pg 362 Appendix 15 433.1.5 (iii)

Fixed appliances over 2kw should be on own circuit mate
As ever, things are rarely that simple.

As the competant person, it is up to you to assess several things:

# the condition of the existing circuit

# the existing likely loading of the circuit

# and the magnitude and consequent effect of any increased load on the circuit.

As you've given us scant information about any of these items, we are in no position to help. There is advice in the appendices at the back of BS7671 to help you.

You mention the oven is 3500W. Are you sure? Many single ovens have a grille and oven element which may add up to this, but cannot actually be used at the same time. So you need to assess the actual max load of the appliance.

What I&T have you done thus far? Is the RFC in good order and what size OCPD will it have?

Is this a small kitchen, and so lightly loaded, or a massive place that looks like a Currys display?

Reconnecting the new oven to the RFC in the manner you propose (don't forget an isolator) is not out of the question on a 32A RFC, but more info is required to ensure the circuit is adequate for the task.

I came across a 4 ring single oven cooker that had been wired into the ring a few years ago. Major fire hazard IMO.

There used to be something called diversity which allowed the 'trician to calculate the load on a circuit. From memory for a domestic cooker it was the first 10 amps and 40% of the remainder of its full load current. A 32A ring has already had diversity applied, so you can't wire the cooker into it.

Tipi,

There still is the same diversity factor for cookers. In fact it's the only diversity factor that has stayed exactly in the same format since it's introduction in the Regs some 60 years ago. Which i would say ''proves it's worth'' !!