correct method of stripping twin & earth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrician786

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering all the different methods you guys/gals use to strip back the sheath on twin and earth? I normally use the cpc in the "cheese wire method". I was speaking to a spark the other day and he said that method is no longer allowed due to damaging the cpc? I've never heard that before.

Me too, if you damage the very end by squashing or whatever you cut it off anyway.....

just snip off the end. To be honest, the screw terminal will "damage the integrity" of the CPC anyway

Depends on the make of cable, I normally snip then pull the line and neutral apart.

I did have some cable a couple of months ago that ripped my fingers apart doing that so I had to resort to the cheese wire or Kewteknic auto stripper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the CK version of the Kew Technik stripper and its GREAT! At college they INSISTED on us first learning how to strip the cable with a knife before letting us do it with the proper kit!

Blimey !!!At the college by me the students HAVE to have knives !!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:36 ----------

Snip the end , grip the earth and a core and the sheath with side cutters , grip other core and sheath with finger/thumb and pull apart.

Or the "Cheese Wire " method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheese wire method can affect the cpc on a molecular level and should never be used to be honest if you go into the material science!
but you do? :coat

i use a mixture of ck auto strippers and the "cheese wire" method

I use the CK style stripping tool, if the cable has a good chalky content then usually strip it in 3-6" chunks, if it's poor T&E then use the CK stripper to break the sleeve as far back as I want to strip then use the cheese wire method to remove the sleeve this way you get a nice clean finish no nasty split in the outter insulation you get when just doing it with the cheese wire method.