cu change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

when doing a cu change do you take every socket/switch off the wall or just about 20%

what would you do if you see earth wires twisted but sheathed? or missing brown off a switch live? or a missing grommet?

thanks

paul

basic tests on the circuit: i.e IR, Zs at furthest point (& a few others just incase that wasnt the furthest point. and thats it. its not a PIR.

I think I can add to that.........Ze. PEFC. PSCC. Polarity at selected points...RCD test... Suitability of Main & Supp Bonding... Suitability of Tails...., and general visual .with comments where necessary.

a1spark
they are all tests of the CU youve installed. im refering to the tests on the circuits to be reconnected. but i did miss the polarity test

I always test before changing the C/U as in my early days ended up unable to 'commission' 3 circuits on a c/u change I did due to dangerous readings on ins res.

I always take off a few sockets and switches, especially if the install looks like its been messed with.

Ive seen many times, cpc's being used as a line conductor.

I think I can add to that.........Ze. PEFC. PSCC. Polarity at selected points...RCD test... Suitability of Main & Supp Bonding... Suitability of Tails...., and general visual .with comments where necessary.

a1spark
if you think that the property needs a re-wire whats the best way of noting that on the cert. ie needs re-wire or installation unsatisfactory? cheers

ALWAYS test first. You need to know that there are no earth faults that are going to trip out your newly installed rcd/bo's and cause you a major (unquoted for) ball ache. Either that or have a clause in your quote, allowing for these problems.

if you think that the property needs a re-wire whats the best way of noting that on the cert. ie needs re-wire or installation unsatisfactory? cheers
If any circuit is unsatisfactory, then surely you wouldn't be connecting it to the new CU. If the whole installation is unsatisfactory, surely you'd refuse to fit a new CU and recommend a rewire.

[assuming that remedial works would be so costly that a rewire is warranted]