d/c cables run through house?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
currently doing more sodding domestic work than i would like Guinness

anyways.... im doing a rewire for my friend, its a house he's going to be in for a long time to come, so all the gadgets are going in. he wants to allow for future pv, i am currently reading up on these matters but im the first to admit its not my forte, especially in terms of regulations. its a 4story building with a loft extention, the only place for an inverter to go is right down in the celler/mains room. There is a simple enough route from the loft space aside the loft extention through 3 other floors. im wanting to leave the job neat/finished off to a square edge, so im not beyond buying some dc isolators.

q1) can you just run DC cables from panels through a house behind studwalls (more than 50mm), or do they need to be in trunking/conduit/adaptaflex?

q2) im going to use 6mm 1000v tuv rated double insulated stuff, is that ok or can i use something else?

q3) i know it needs an isolator next to the inverter but would it need one in the small loft space too for maintaining panels?

cheers for the patience

andy

The DC cables must be labelled along its route, DC CABLES LIVE DURING SUNLIGHT (or summing like that), I always put DC Isolator in Loft and at Inverter, DC Cables should be solar cables (Double Insulated for DC).If its a rewire i would personally stick steel conduit in the walls with the PV in it, DC could be up to 1000Volts.

Bear in mind whoever does the Solar install (MCS certified) will be signing off the EIC for the solar and they didn't run the cables so you may want to take appropriate photos of it, unless the solar firm are the fly be night type we see lots off :slap
What advantage is there in running DC cable in steel conduit over SWA ?

SWA and Double Insulated DC Cables are two completely different specs---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:54 ----------

Ivor - Where has your own problem with your install got so far ?

Haven't seen or heard anything for a while....
But the DTI guide allows SWA (if all OK) to be used as a main DC cable. As hxsarge is only running the feed cable(main DC cable) what advantage would steel conduit and DC cable have over SWA?

Could you tell me what you mean """"""""Where has your own problem with your install got so far ? """""

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to use SWA so long as you designed it correctly, bear in mind that depending on the array thats not fitted yet you could have up to 1000vDC for the solar PV.And depending on installation methods then again if using SWA you would probably have to use Single Core SWA according to the DTI guide.

Double Insulated Solar Cable installed correctly would be in my opinion a far better job, as much as we use SWA in this country its one of those Love Hate cables and after putting in my fair share of it one the years I personally hate it....

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:16 ----------

Sorry my mistake, got you confused with the Newman Install :innocent
Can you provide a sensible reason why you think the average 16amp AC install would have a DC voltage of over 1000v (running or at fault)

Why single core SWA????

And Newman was none of my doing ////////He was only confused by certain chaps on this forum giving incorrect information like you do

and the unfortunate chap still has a very very poor install,!

so, do you understand how the DC gets to the inverter, and how it is dependant on the number of panels, with the varying voltage Vs current the different panels produce?

I have done 10 panel installs that have over 1000v going to the inverter!

and the unfortunate chap still has a very very poor install,!so, do you understand how the DC gets to the inverter, and how it is dependant on the number of panels, with the varying voltage Vs current the different panels produce?

I have done 10 panel installs that have over 1000v going to the inverter!
Mr toe I am sure you have and I am very sure I know the rights n wrongs but give me the details of the panels

Thanks

Ok Ivor, My last post to you as i don't really want to get into a debate where your right and I'm wrong no matter what :slap as we will just be repeating things from previous postsMy Red

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:41 ----------

Opens a another bottle of red and retires to the iThingie......
well you should know how a fault of 1000v is possible (but highly unlightly)

Let me know your single core SWA reason in your own time as we are not all down to earth like yer sel

Newman was given some bad advice on this forum by you and many others

Thanks

Mr toe I am sure you have and I am very sure I know the rights n wrongs but give me the details of the panelsThanks
they were 135v per panel, specified for the job,

42 arrays of these were fitted, albeit fairly load current at only 4-ish amps each,

although each panel did measure almost 6x12 ! :eek:

it was quite a while back,

as a footnote, I will admit it wasnt in the remit of any UK governance either. :|

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:50 ----------

well you should know how a fault of 1000v is possible (but highly unlightly)Let me know your single core SWA reason in your own time as we are not all down to earth like yer sel

Newman was given some bad advice on this forum by you and many others

Thanks
was he really?

care to expand on that?

they were 135v per panel, specified for the job,42 arrays of these were fitted, albeit fairly load current at only 4-ish amps each,

although each panel did measure almost 6x12 ! :eek:

it was quite a while back,

as a footnote, I will admit it wasnt in the remit of any UK governance either. :|

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:50 ----------

was he really?

care to expand on that?
No BS pal just a make and model,,,,

Thanks

:innocent cheers guys. think il throw some dc singles in, 6mm to be safe. with an isolator at both ends. happydays

:innocent cheers guys. think il throw some dc singles in, 6mm to be safe. with an isolator at both ends. happydays
You could put in steel conduit for a reason no one wants to say

Thanks

No BS pal just a make and model,,,,Thanks
mmmmm

that may be a little difficult,

what part nof the post didnt you understand?

they were specified for the job

is that really hard to understand?

BTW, I dont have 'pals' , just associates, and if they dont buy their round then they are merely pratts that happen to stand beside me in the pub.

might be diplomatic and use pvc conduit, my mates a bit rough with his joinery.

Back to the OP I'm sure it won't be hard to survey the roof space and then do your calcs on the smallest panels on the market then run your strings down to the basement but allow for volt drop as many PV installers overlook this when siting the inverters and I actually think its a good idea to run it in steel conduit if rewiring as it gives a sound mechanical protection within the installation as it could be a while before he gets solar ;)

The DC cables must be labelled along its route, DC CABLES LIVE DURING SUNLIGHT (or summing like that), I
Well that is not very often in this country this summer.

run in 4off 4mm cables as in for 2 strings - the most you will need for domestic 4kWp system, and you can run a length of about 90m before impinging on 1% allowable volt drop for DC side. Most houses would not exceed 30m anyway. Before your mate gets around to installing PV, give me a shout

Latest posts