Different Advice From Different Electricians

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house1

Reaction score
I needed 2 tasks: earthing on TT system, and installation of extractor fan.  RCD is 100mA

One electrician says he can't do job, until I get consumer unit upgrade and all tests etc.

Other electrician says, it's ok to do job on existing consumer unit.

How to know which one to believe?

Welcome.

This is the ongoing issue with our trade. Different levels of ability and different interpretation of the regulations which are written in a way that does not help.

There is plenty of good advice here for you to get a wealth of information. Some more detail will be needed from yourself thought so the members can give you some advice.

1. What exactly do you mean by 'earthing on TT system'?

2. What does your current consumer unit look like?

You don't say what room the extractor fan is in.

It's perfectly possible to wire in a fan in such a way that it does not need rcd protection, so second electrician could be right.

We don't know what consumer unit you have, so the first electrician could also be right. you can't post pictures yet, so can you describe as best you can what you have at the moment.

You don't say what room the extractor fan is in.

It's perfectly possible to wire in a fan in such a way that it does not need rcd protection, so second electrician could be right.

We don't know what consumer unit you have, so the first electrician could also be right. you can't post pictures yet, so can you describe as best you can what you have at the moment.
Extractor fan in bathroom, which is on extension in terraced house.  Bathroom has a bulb inside with switch outside bathroom.  I need extractor fan which goes on with light, timer delayed.

Consumer unit has 5 MCBs (30,30,15,5,5) and 100mA RCD.

The old wylex NB range were available in those ratings so could be.

You could also change the incomer to a 30mA rcd on those boards, I probably have one in my box of spares.

But personally i would recommend a CU change and some proper testing as you clearly have an installation over 25 years old. 

And what do you mean by need earthing on TT system
There is no earthing in house, so PME needs to connect to CU.  It's a TT system (any electrician will know more than me what is TT system)

There is no earthing in house, so PME needs to connect to CU.  It's a TT system (any electrician will know more than me what is TT system)
To be honest that is not what you said. Good luck with the help from other members then. I am out.

So THAT needs sorting out as a priority before you even think about doing any alterations. The more information you drip feed us, the more I think you need a full EICR (Electrical installation condition report) which is probably at least half a days inspection and testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
House 1, Essex 1 was trying to help you and whilst he is running his own electrical company. Just because he cannot help you further does not really warrant a de-scoob does it?

I have removed it as a good will gesture.

So THAT needs sorting out as a priority before you even think about doing any alterations. The more information you drip feed us, the more I think you need a full EICR (Electrical installation condition report) which is probably at least half a days inspection and testing.
I agree, earthing needs to be sorted.  But can it be done on existing CU?

I needed 2 tasks: earthing on TT system, and installation of extractor fan.  RCD is 100mA

One electrician says he can't do job, until I get consumer unit upgrade and all tests etc.

Other electrician says, it's ok to do job on existing consumer unit.

How to know which one to believe?
To be honest matey I don't think either has given you detailed advice.

Suggest you get a 3rd opinion, BUT saying a full CU change is not helpful or probably needed.

Where are you in the UK - there may be a decent, honest sparky on here, near you!

To be honest matey I don't think either has given you detailed advice.

Suggest you get a 3rd opinion, BUT saying a full CU change is not helpful or probably needed.

Where are you in the UK - there may be a decent, honest sparky on here, near you!
I am in Liverpool, North West

Just to clarify, you've got PME that someone has suggested needs convertin to TT, or you have TT and someone has told you you have PME that could be connected to Fuse board?

As fas as bathroom fan goes, from the MCB ratings you have 'plug-in' Wylex unitsa sPro Dave has suggested. Now undeer the recent regs that would mean a lack of 30mA RCD protection for cables buried less than 50mm in the wall. If that is the case it is possible to simply add an RCD for that circuit external to the board. However, given the lack of info, I think I would suggest you get another electrician to have a look. Lots of semi-trained sparkies think you have to change the board to be compliant with the regs - that isn't always the case!

Just to clarify, you've got PME that someone has suggested needs convertin to TT, or you have TT and someone has told you you have PME that could be connected to Fuse board?

As fas as bathroom fan goes, from the MCB ratings you have 'plug-in' Wylex unitsa sPro Dave has suggested. Now undeer the recent regs that would mean a lack of 30mA RCD protection for cables buried less than 50mm in the wall. If that is the case it is possible to simply add an RCD for that circuit external to the board. However, given the lack of info, I think I would suggest you get another electrician to have a look. Lots of semi-trained sparkies think you have to change the board to be compliant with the regs - that isn't always the case!
I have TT, and electricity provider put PME near to consumer unit, but didn't connect to consumer unit, as electrician needs to check if it's ok to do that.