Different Advice From Different Electricians

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have TT, and electricity provider put PME near to consumer unit, but didn't connect to consumer unit, as electrician needs to check if it's ok to do that.
if they have provided a 'suppliers earth' use it. What the DNOs (suppliers) won't do is connect into your fuseboard for you. Simple test by your sparky of choice will confirm if it is suitable to use. If it is, I would suggest changing your board, not because you have to, but to avoid what we call nuisance tripping. It sounds like you have an oldish TT set-up with a single 100mA RCD main switch. Now to protect people / pets / children we like to see 30mA RCD protection with a minimum of 2 RCDs so a single fault only trips out half the board (we split the circuits beteen the 2 RCDs). Now, you only have 5 circuits, so it is quite cost effective to install RCBOs. An RCBO combines the MCB with an RCD so you get an RCD per circuit which is far more reliable and means a single fault that would have tripped out the whole house will now only trip out 1 circuit = less annoynace and panic! To do this we need to test the entire house for legally binding reasons, and to make sure there are no latent faults with the system. Did you get an electrical inspection report with the property purchase? - it's quite common to do that these days. If so, then that means (if it passed) that you can just change the board. If not then the board and test should be around £450ish, some charge more, some charge less. You may find some faults which may cost extra, but it will mean you know the house electrics are safe, bit like getting your car MOT.

I'm guessing you don't understand the difference between RCDs and MCBs. In short, RCDs protect people and are highly sensitive. So sensitive they will pick up faults with appliances which are the main cause of nuisance tripping. MCBs protect cables, mostly by preventing overloading of the circuit. MCBs are also sensitve hence a blowing lamp can trip them out sometimes. I won't go into details on how that happens unless you really want to know. Because MCBs and RCDS 'look' for different faults we can use 1 RCD to protect several circuits which have their own appropiately rated MCB or fuse, Hope that makes sense.

Now, getting back to the bathroom fan, if we are modifying a circuit it has to comply with todays regs which would mean adding 30mA RCD protection for the lighting circuit, though it can be achieved by an RCD fused spur for the bathroom light/fan. Personally I think it easier to install a single rcd for the cct - NB an RCBO would probably not fit your current board, they are quite large compared to an MCB.

Now another opinion, some electricians prefer TT systems for a whole load of reasons I won't go into now. You can keep the TT and install the RCBOs to be fully up to date. Personally I prefer to use the suppliers earth, which is more common practice. Either way I would recommend getting an EICR - electrical installation and condition report, if one wasn't provided with the house purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
for safety resons i would replace the consumer unit as 100ma will only protect equipment, modurn consumer units use 30ma RCD's and that protects the user and the equipment.

for safety resons i would replace the consumer unit as 100ma will only protect equipment, modurn consumer units use 30ma RCD's and that protects the user and the equipment. as the use of an extractor fan is normally used in damp conditions a 30ma RCD is defintally a good idea

for safety resons i would replace the consumer unit as 100ma will only protect equipment, modurn consumer units use 30ma RCD's and that protects the user and the equipment. as the use of an extractor fan is normally used in damp conditions a 30ma RCD is defintally a good idea
As you are obviously not an electrician you should update your info.

for safety resons i would replace the consumer unit as 100ma will only protect equipment, modurn consumer units use 30ma RCD's and that protects the user and the equipment.

Sweeping statements with no real fact behind them is how rumours start. The RCD everything brigade because it makes you safer luv.

Thanks everyone, it was helpful to hear different views.  Finally I found a good electrician.  I will replace consumer unit and go with current regulations.

if they have provided a 'suppliers earth' use it. What the DNOs (suppliers) won't do is connect into your fuseboard for you. Simple test by your sparky of choice will confirm if it is suitable to use. If it is, I would suggest changing your board, not because you have to, but to avoid what we call nuisance tripping. It sounds like you have an oldish TT set-up with a single 100mA RCD main switch. Now to protect people / pets / children we like to see 30mA RCD protection with a minimum of 2 RCDs so a single fault only trips out half the board (we split the circuits beteen the 2 RCDs). Now, you only have 5 circuits, so it is quite cost effective to install RCBOs. An RCBO combines the MCB with an RCD so you get an RCD per circuit which is far more reliable and means a single fault that would have tripped out the whole house will now only trip out 1 circuit = less annoynace and panic! To do this we need to test the entire house for legally binding reasons, and to make sure there are no latent faults with the system. Did you get an electrical inspection report with the property purchase? - it's quite common to do that these days. If so, then that means (if it passed) that you can just change the board. If not then the board and test should be around £450ish, some charge more, some charge less. You may find some faults which may cost extra, but it will mean you know the house electrics are safe, bit like getting your car MOT.

I'm guessing you don't understand the difference between RCDs and MCBs. In short, RCDs protect people and are highly sensitive. So sensitive they will pick up faults with appliances which are the main cause of nuisance tripping. MCBs protect cables, mostly by preventing overloading of the circuit. MCBs are also sensitve hence a blowing lamp can trip them out sometimes. I won't go into details on how that happens unless you really want to know. Because MCBs and RCDS 'look' for different faults we can use 1 RCD to protect several circuits which have their own appropiately rated MCB or fuse, Hope that makes sense.

Now, getting back to the bathroom fan, if we are modifying a circuit it has to comply with todays regs which would mean adding 30mA RCD protection for the lighting circuit, though it can be achieved by an RCD fused spur for the bathroom light/fan. Personally I think it easier to install a single rcd for the cct - NB an RCBO would probably not fit your current board, they are quite large compared to an MCB.

Now another opinion, some electricians prefer TT systems for a whole load of reasons I won't go into now. You can keep the TT and install the RCBOs to be fully up to date. Personally I prefer to use the suppliers earth, which is more common practice. Either way I would recommend getting an EICR - electrical installation and condition report, if one wasn't provided with the house purchase.
Special thanks goes to Binky :)   , very useful

Pretty sure one is ESL and one isn't.
what is ESL?