Dimmer switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of a job I'm going to do I've got to repair some lighting..

The fittings are GU10 and they are fed from a dimmer switch... they do not work!

My thought is that a lamp has blown and took out the dimmer, so I'll have to replace the dimmer.

Now, so the dimmer doesn't get taken out the next time a lamp blows what type of dimmer do I need to get?? will a soft start one be ok?? or does it need to be a bit more sophisticated??

Have found this common problem with cheaper UN FUSED GU 10 Lamps.

Recommend Crompton Lamps even then they say on the box " May require additional fuse protection if used with dimmers"

Concurances with Sparkytim.. :Applaud :Applaud:Applaud

A while back had a job with 250w rated dimmer supplying a bedroom light with 4 x 50W GU10's

so 200watt load over 250watt dimmer... :eek:

should be good me thinks?

It took out two dimmers before we sussed out it was

Concurances with Sparkytim.. :Applaud :Applaud:ApplaudA while back had a job with 250w rated dimmer supplying a bedroom light with 4 x 50W GU10's

so 200watt load over 250watt dimmer... :eek:

should be good me thinks?

It took out two dimmers before we sussed out it was

I might be teaching to suck eggs and all that, but i'd put the switch on a simple one gang open/close first to check out the lights are actually working/bulbs lamps blown or not
default_good%20luck.gif

i don't know about other but i always go way over the top if possible on dimmers and also try and buy a decent brand like MK rather than cheapo no name items from B&Q etc.

I think I'll go for something like the Varilight Intelligent dimmer (if that is what's wrong).. It's ok to put in good lamps, but there is no saying what they'll be replaced with and I don't want to end up getting the phonecall to replace the dimmer FOC

I've said it before you ban the 100watt bc bulb lamp tube thingy which lights up all the room lovely then you stick in say 8 x GU10's = 400watts to replace it in return you get loads of heat and a house that catches on fire cos you can't keep them cool enough, absolute madness and where do all the flies fly now !!!!, exactly no bulb to fly round.

Avoid Crabtree dimmers. I've blown three of these at home with 3 x 150w GU10s. As soon as one goes, it takes the dimmer with it.

Agreed, Batty. I loathe GU10s too. Hideous, inefficient and expensive.

so change them...................

they are quite a good range of LED and CFL replacements around now, sadly you'll have to lose your exploding dimmer though.