Dimplex DuoHeat 500n - Is the On-Peak heat affecting the release of the Off-Peak heat (tech query)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Ravi

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased and installed (via an electrician) a DuoHeat 500n in my living room. Unfortunately, its not heating up my living room.

As you might know, the Duo has two heat supplies:

(1) BACKGROUND - via an of-peak connection and this is the stored heat

(2) COMFORT - via an On-Peak Connection and this is an electric panel on the front of the heater that is meant to provide additional heat in the evenings.

The background heat is released automatically with the help of a room temp sensor.

Each night I set the BACKGROUND HEAT TO MAX (this controls how much is stored over night) and the COMFORT heat to low (2 bars out of 10). When I wake up in the morning the storage heater is very hot to touch (both at the front and the side) but my room is not heated. The heater remains hot throughout the day but does not heat my room. So it looks as if its not efficiently releasing the stored heat.

Therefore, I was wondering if the heat coming from the front "COMFORT" heater is affecting the the temp sensor which controls how much stored heat is released, fooling it into thinking that the room is warm and so no significant heat needs to be released.

Therefore, I was thinking of switching off the ON-PEAK "COMFORT" supply overnight and just leaving on the "OF-PEAK" to see if that works. However, I read somewhere that both need to be on for the heater to work and fear I might destroy the heater.

headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Do you have the manufactures user guide? http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/operating_instructions/0/DuoHeat_N_GDC_Operating_Instructions_Issue_1.pdf from here

INSTALLED HEATING - DUOHEAT RADIATOR or http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/quick_start_guides/0/Duo...n_2_page_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf on of those may answer your question? The forum does have a downloads section where members can purchase access to a wide range of documents. All of our qualified members offer their time and experience on a voluntary basis. If you find the forum has helped you, you can also make a one-off donation to keep it running for others as well. Thank you.

Doc H.

Certainly turn the peak supply off overnight as a trial and see.

But it sounds like the heater is heating up properly and getting hot.

It sounds to me like the problem is the heater is inadequate for the room, or the room is poorly insulated. Particularly in this cold spell.

I had a 1930's semi once with solid 9" brick walls (i.e no insulation) and storage heaters in that were almost a waste of time. In cold weather even with the heaters on max, and almost too hot to touch, the room was barely warm in the morning, and cold when you got home from work. I had to supliment the heat with gas fires. Gas central heating was the only thing that would get that house warm.

the heater needs the peak supply for charge control leave it on, just use the controls to turn off the panel heater as its useless anyway they are only 500w and make the front of the heater stupidly warm. You will then see if its taking a charge over night, as far as i can see on them there is no controlled release no flap like on the old ones they just charge different amounts for the amount of heat you set. Have you checked its actually getting a off peak supply?