dimplex storage heaters cutting out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshjason123

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have 4 Dimplex Storage heaters that have worked fine for years. They are all on seperate RCB's on the Low tarrif consumer unit. My problem is they are all cutting out after a few days of been on. I have reset the thermal cut out switchs on them all and they come back on but after a few days the same thing happens. I can't understand how this can be with them all on seperate circuits has anyone any ideas what might be causing this.

Thanks Jason

Hello Jason,

I can't help you with your problem - But others on here will be able to.

I can can say "Welcome to the forum" though.

:)

Hello and welcome.

You are not covering the heaters with anything?

Are they set to charge to their max? If so try turning them down a bit

Hi no nothing covering them they are set to high but always have been so don't understand why this is happening

Bit odd that they've all suddenly started doing it, assuming that they have all suddenly started doing this simultaneouslyish over the last few weeks.

I'm assuming you have no recent test results for the installation that would help identify anything that's changed?

If it's the thermal cut out that keeps popping I would start by stripping them down and giving them a good clean. How old are they, how long have they been in? It might be worth checking voltages at each heater\element, could be the mains supply voltage has changed so they are now getting slightly warmer than they have been in previous times.

Of course, they could just be ready for the skip.

Update!! not sure if this can be to blame as they are all on separate rcb's but I have found that the live supply connection on one of the switched spurs has over heated at some point and melted a little of the sleeving and discolured the copper. I have reconnected it cutting away the bad wire and cleaning the contacts but I still dont see how this could affect the rest of them. I am curious about your comment Lurch with regards to the possible change in voltage as this would make sense but I'm not sure exactly how that can happen could you enlighten me. Thanks again for all your inputs.

SOrry to answer your question Nospark the heaters are all independant and dont share a thermostat you control the heat simply by the input and output controls on the individual units. Cheers though

I am curious about your comment Lurch with regards to the possible change in voltage as this would make sense but I'm not sure exactly how that can happen could you enlighten me.
There maybe something that has changed externally on the supply somewhere and could have occurred due to the REC doing something somewhere, possibly changing a transformer, or cables. Could also possibly be a change internally, have you had any work done on the supply, new CU, meter change or anything similar?

Hi sorry I know what you mean now, it is the thermal switches that are tripping. As for anywork none at all and I did have them all certified just over a year ago and all was well.

Well if you've had them tested a year ago I'd get it all retested and compare results and also strip down and fully test the heaters.

How old are they?

Update!! not sure if this can be to blame as they are all on separate rcb's but I have found that the live supply connection on one of the switched spurs has over heated at some point and melted a little of the sleeving and discolured the copper. I have reconnected it cutting away the bad wire and cleaning the contacts but I still dont see how this could affect the rest of them. I am curious about your comment Lurch with regards to the possible change in voltage as this would make sense but I'm not sure exactly how that can happen could you enlighten me. Thanks again for all your inputs.
If you feel competent to do it, run through whole system looking for more loose terminals including at the distribution board.