Electric storage heaters usage when switched off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesC

Reaction score
I have an ongoing issue with EON and in my testing, as it is summer, I have no storage heaters, or water heaters switched on, yet my heating meter clocks up around 4, or 5 kWh per day. Is this right, and what could be causing this? When I did switch a few on the reading for heating increased, as did the normal daytime meter, by the exact same amount over above our normal daily usage, which means I was getting charged twice. However my main concern is the 5kwh daily meter for storage heaters that are not even switched on?

Your off peak meter activates and powers everything in your property for those hours it's active.

Therefore there will be some usage. Even with the storage heaters off.

Which is why those on E7 can save money by running things like washing machines at night or very early in the morning when it is on the cheap rate.

Electric oven? Kettle, lights, even you TV all use electricity.

How do you heat your water?
Technically it is on the heating system but that's switched off as well and the element is broken in any case and doesn't work.
When the heating circuit is active I can hear some noises from the meter system like a switch but that's all in the metering systems, so whether that is consuming it I don't know but that's all in the suppliers systems rather than the house systems?

I have 3 phrase into the property. One for day and night, E7. The other for the storage heating. I can see the day and night, though a kettle test move both.
The heating is on a separate system though they've wired it into the same meter. The heating is supposed to be completely separate, though the meter double reads it.
If I switch on the heating the heating meter will I crease but it also adds it onto the day rate equally, which it should not.
I've narrowed down my four meter readings and know which one does the heating and it uses 4 kWh with all systems off.
I can well imagine you and myself are confused, as are EON but my question remains: if all storage heaters and water heaters are off, should the system be accounting for 4 to 5 kWh per day, as there is nothing else on that circuit. E7 are completely not on the same wiring.
Night electric is on another meter reading.

Your hot water tank may have 2 immersions, if you have a tank?
It does. One on the heating circuit which is switched off and broken. The other is on the mains wiring and again only used when we want it.
The heating circuit only becomes active when the meter says so. In the afternoon and again late at night, or early hours. The second element we can switch on anytime and would not work if it was on the heating circuit if that was in its off state. In any case both are off.
My belief is our meter is setup completely wrong for the two circuits going through it.

My question is should a heating circuit use power when I have double checked and switched all systems off on that circuit? I am responsible for the power that possibly activates the system, as there are humming noises from within the meter box associated with this circuit but those boxes are the supplier's systems?

My belief is our meter is setup completely wrong for the two circuits going through it.
sounds like a another ballsed up meter fitting - unfortunately meter fitters are not electricians and don't seem to understand jack shit about off peak or solar systems.
My question is should a heating circuit use power when I have double checked and switched all systems off on that circuit? I am responsible for the power that possibly activates the system, as there are humming noises from within the meter box associated with this circuit but those boxes are the supplier's systems?
In short , no, what happens if you turn off the boards completely? I appreciate that's very inconvienient to do, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

sounds like a another ballsed up meter fitting - unfortunately meter fitters are not electricians and don't seem to understand jack shit about off peak or solar systems.

In short , no, what happens if you turn off the boards completely? I appreciate that's very inconvienient to do, but it would be interesting to see what happens.
That's my next test though I think I can only switch off the trips near the meter.

I wonder if the meter is a three phase meter and not split into single phase on and off peak metering?

I've switched off the heater trips, but it has made no difference to using 4kwh daily. I must admit I'm also not qualified to know what I switched off mind.

I provide a picture of the meter system. Originally I had two meters. One for the house normal power; day and night and another for the heaters, which also had a day/night reading. One of these never moved much, of course.

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_092651304.jpg
    IMG_20230802_092651304.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Due to the meters not working right on a kettle test and a heating test it is difficult to tell but I record:
12 day
4 heating (all off)
7 night rate.

On a kettle test the day and night move but not at the same rate.
When I test the heating the heating increases but so does the day rate by the same rate as the heating (which it adds to the existing day number)

As requested I think I've tripped the heating off here but for some reason, someone's also wired in an outside socket into this unit, so no idea where that is getting logged on the meter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_175203834.jpg
    IMG_20230802_175203834.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230802_175210579.jpg
    IMG_20230802_175210579.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
IMG_20230802_092651304.jpg what a mess!
60 amp incoming with 63A mcb's, white fuse holders on the line conductor, 400v everywhere, contactors feeding conductors, cables like bow strings, sockets without RCD's, all this before you leave the supply cupboard , what is the rest of the house like?, but on the bright-side they are all marked up, hopefully correctly,