Dimplex Xlsn

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksinton

Reaction score
GoodMorning Everyone, Firstly thank you for this Forum. Secondly I am a householder with a Dimplex XLSN. My Problem is that it has started to only partially work, ie it puts out some heat, but not enough. I have checked that the Thermostat has not tripped (it hasn't), and that the dials have not been changed (they haven't). Can anyone suggest what sort of thing will cause this, whether it's worth fixing (its 7 years old), and where I could find an Engineer who is experienced in these types of Heaters. Many Thanks, Mark 

Should be a fairly simple fix if its the above for a electrician, maybe even yourself depending if confident, I would disconnect the flex from the spur, isolating switch before removing the cover even ifs fed from economy 7

Should be a fairly simple fix if its the above for a electrician, maybe even yourself depending if confident, I would disconnect the flex from the spur, isolating switch before removing the cover even ifs fed from economy 7

As Zak said it is DIYable...

but you would need a continuity testers to check the elements you remove is actually faulty..

and a voltage indicator to verify the power is OFF..

before you go sticking fingers in live bits..

And one more important thing, to change the elements you need some of the bricks out, so the heater needs to be cool.

It's no good leaving it on and calling an electrician and expecting him to dismantle it with hot bricks. It realy needs to be off a couple of days.

Since it's now (in theory at least) so close to summer, I would live with if for now, and get it fixed in the summer when it's not in use.

To confirm it's one of the elements, does the heater appear hotter at one end than the other?

What size is it? The tiny XL6 has one element, the XL12 has 2, the XL18 has 3 and the XL24 has 4 of them.

Hi Everyone, Thank You for your posts. I'm not sure which model it is, there's nothing written on it -  is there an easy way to tell?, my guess its a 12, since its wider than the ones in the bedrooms, but not as bigger depth as the one in the sitting room - not very scientific I know!!!.   The heater is luke warm all over, which suggests what??? that its a 1 element XL6 on half pay!!!  The electrical connection has an isolator switch on the wall - is that sufficient protection? or do I need to disconnect within the heater as well? I take the point that I can delay till summer. Is there another reason why the heater is luke warm? Many Thanks, Mark

Turn the switch off and at least let it cool down as pd said. Personally I'd dissconnect the flex from the switch so no one else can turn it on. Not sure if that's something you feel comfortable with !