Discrimination

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wislum

Reaction score
I have a dilema guys. A client is insured througfh NFU and they are dictating that any electrician working within his factory unit has to be NIC certified. I know NIC has monopolised many things but when did they monopolise wher an electrician can work. Any feedback would be appreciated

I thought this was going to be an RCD discrimination thing. If they say they want NICEIC there really is not a lot you can do about it. If you belong to a scheme they may fight your case. I am with BSI and they say they will fight your case if you have problems like this. Not sure why NICEIC is specked because most of the rough jobs I have seen have been by NICEIC contractors. Good luck with it.

anyone can dictate who they have doing work for them,

I would never have Volti round my house, far too short, short people give me the creeps, ;)

or KME for that matter, too tall,

I'd want Ali, or maybe even Sandra at a push, ;) ; )

bottom line is, they can say who, or what requirements they allow to work on the property if they are insuring it.

might not be right or fair, but it is legal and common practice. :C

If you search back, there have been a number of posts like this. The best reply that sticks in my mind came from the Special of the Location character, and went summat like:

I`ve decided that any worker working in my house is to wear pink overalls with pictures of bunny rabbits on. That is the "uniform" I have chosen. I am employing this person, and I can ask for anything I like as a pre-requisite; as can any other customer.

NICEIC were the "industry standard", before all the scam nonsense kicked off - it is now watered down to the point where almost anyone with half a brain cell, and enough money ( in reverse order of importance) can join a scam. There are STILL a lot of companies who know of the other providers, but request NICEIC. Anyone who did their homework before starting business knew this - and if your client base includes such companies, then NICEIC will be your scheme provider............... Which may be the reason some of us went that route - nobody ever REFUSES to employ NICEIC sparks en masse ; so I didn`t shut off any potential areas of work.

You pays your money, and takes your choice. That`s life.

KME

If i was a NIC AC 8 years ago i think I would be fuming the way its gone now, as KME says, i think NIC lost the plot by having the DI scheme associated with them.

When Ive had the same problem as the OP Ive enquired with the person who said it, they usually say 'just be registered with someone' they then have a appointed a person with a governing body assuring standards, less emphasis on them (although their paperwork may not reflect this, your call then) .

never to date knowingly lost a job through not being NIC. I would speak to the NFU and see exactly what they expect from you and if it is a absolute decision, if the customer is worth that much then join them, I know I would to keep work off certain customers if they demanded it.

I'll be going to NIC soon enough. I didnt want to join their DI scheme, so i joined napit. I really dont think this means anything to a single customer ive had, apart from the obvious signing off etc. NIC AC does mean alot to some commercial customers. TBH ive never knowingly lost a job through not being NIC but very nearly have a few times.

I would agree fletch,

DI means nothing,

but once you step up to commercial customers then the gulf can be very big indeed,

do any of the other schemes offer any difference in membership?