DIY ers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else see the editors comment in December issue of PE ?

He makes the point that on a forum sounding much like this one , electricians are giving advice to the DIY brigade , with some writing in saying " I'm not an electrician but I've done some small jobs ...etc "

He makes the point that perhaps we should not give that advice to untrained people and they should call a professional in, (or even Specs ; \ ;) )

What do others think ?

Nobody would give advice to someone out of their depth etc.

And it is in the agreement that it is recommended that "If in doubt, call a qualified Electrician out".

And there is also the "Electrician Business Directory" too, to do that (As well as other methods.

I don't believe that the editor was talking about this forum, but there is another forum out there aimed, purely at DIY persons. ;)

Oh, And I don't fancy driving all the way down to Senate's in Swansea to pick up a copy. :(

I've not yet seen this months PE.

Before the PE editor has a whine about forums & advice given by tradesmen, I think maybe he should mention the incorrect info dished out daily by B&Q staff in the electrical depts.

At least we are upto date with the whys & where fors of our trade, unlike some of the miss informed diy shed workers I overheard giving info to customers.

Another view - anyone can but the bits so if people are asking advice surly it's better they do something with a bit of help rather than muddling on regardless?

Some people DIY because they can't afford a professional

Some people DIY because they like it

As sparks you see the DIY disasters where it's all gone wrong. There's many more jobs done safely. IMO

is this the same comic that a few months back ran an article on a fully qualified and 'experienced' spark that was about 17??????

not to mention the rubbish sh1t advice they heave been promoting about using the black in 3 core SWA/or 3core and E for a NEUTRAL...?

i take everything in PE the same way i read the sport for real news.

anyone read the leeter a while back about some old codger complaining about being called a spark? he was a 'professional electrician' , NOT a sparks, as he put it, dunno why he added an S on mind.

is PE in with NIC somehow? they seem to think they make rules up too sometimes.

That was an NIC article about using 3core/E . They said you should use the brown as live.... colour tape the black ,blue for neutral... and colour tape the grey , brown if its a switch wire. Mustn't use the black as a neutral. I rst my case on the colour changes,M'lud.

I tried to post a url, but apparently i have to have a minimum of 5 posts before i can.

I think we are being tested........Just answered a post on rcbo's on this forumPray

Just a few points about forums such as these giving advice

While DIY stores continue to sell everything you need to rewire a house,,change your boiler etc there will always be people wanting sound advice and have the b@lls to ask on a forum

These people will stay alive longer

how many of us have been to a diy shop for a something for a Saturday job when the wholesalers are closed and watched the muppets fumble through their list for the outside light ?????

my neighbour works for B+Q and was asked by a customer for a 40amp fuse for the plug for the cooker ,,,he told them there was no such thing

they didnt believe him.....

So these people writing articles in magazines should look to the reasons of why this is happening

and while DIY stores sell the stuff they should shove Part P up their AR$%S

i had a good day today though :^O

Admin

maybe I am just a sceptic but that thread seems quite vague but wanting definite answer's. As this thread is about giving advice to the great british public......nuff said?

Just a few points about forums such as these giving adviceWhile DIY stores continue to sell everything you need to rewire a house,,change your boiler etc there will always be people wanting sound advice and have the b@lls to ask on a forum

These people will stay alive longer

how many of us have been to a diy shop for a something for a Saturday job when the wholesalers are closed and watched the muppets fumble through their list for the outside light ?????

my neighbour works for B+Q and was asked by a customer for a 40amp fuse for the plug for the cooker ,,,he told them there was no such thing

they didnt believe him.....

So these people writing articles in magazines should look to the reasons of why this is happening

and while DIY stores sell the stuff they should shove Part P up their AR$%S

i had a good day today though :^O
Unless he was meaning
WYC40.JPG

;)