DNO (EDF) CHARGE FOR SERVICE FUSE UPGRADE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way you will blow a 80 amp HRC is a dead short, these fuses will run in excess of 100 amp all day long, the reason they want the 100s out is because their equipment was being damaged brfore the fuses failed. Dont rely on the DNO's main fuse for overload protection. They get changed on single and three phase supplies.

Any one else aware that this is happening? or is it just a Yorkshire thing?

The only way you will blow a 80 amp HRC is a dead short, these fuses will run in excess of 100 amp all day long, the reason they want the 100s out is because their equipment was being damaged brfore the fuses failed. Dont rely on the DNO's main fuse for overload protection. They get changed on single and three phase supplies.
as i said. proper mens fuses :^O

Edf and SSE in my area always put in 100 amp fuses as a matter of course well it says 100 amp on the carriers.
But inside is not normally 100a fuse is there. It's normally a 60a round here. Arnt all the carriers rated at 100a?

But inside is not normally 100a fuse is there. It's normally a 60a round here. Arnt all the carriers rated at 100a?
Older ones are only 60 amp and some 60/80 amp I would be suprised if they did have 60 amp fuses in them any way the one my mate gave me who used to work for a dno has a 100 amp fuse in it.

changing the supply to a customer without telling them and claiming its nothing to do with is terrible in my book, but its no different to the water boards lowering water pressures as and when they see fit as it helps stop leaks(so saving money) yet they don't care when it sends all the electric showers on a road mental due to the water pressure being too low.

this attitude of supply companies not caring about customers is despicable, how would you feel if you took your sports car in for a service and the manufacturer lowered the power output to save stress on components?

changing the supply to a customer without telling them and claiming its nothing to do with is terrible in my book, but its no different to the water boards lowering water pressures as and when they see fit as it helps stop leaks(so saving money) yet they don't care when it sends all the electric showers on a road mental due to the water pressure being too low.this attitude of supply companies not caring about customers is despicable, how would you feel if you took your sports car in for a service and the manufacturer lowered the power output to save stress on components?
But they may not be there customer they may buy there electric of british gas.

The DNO will guarantee a 100 amp supply, how they fuse their equipment is their business. We at meter plus (DNO is yorkshire Electricity) remove all 100 amp fuses and replace with 80 amp, if we find 60's we leave in place, we dont have the authorisation to upgrade,(should it be an outside cab with 16s going through the cavity the we downgrade to 60s).
We had our home fuse down rated from 100A to 80A when we had our meter replaced approx 18 months - 2 years ago!

The new supply connection on a job last year only had up to a max demand of 18500Amps on the form.. (which is approx 80amps!)

any max demand greater than 18.5Kamps needed a special order!?

:D

And the awkward DNO award goes to.......

You'll like this one.

Phoned NEDL (CE Electric) to try to get an upgrade from 60 amp supply fuse to at least 80 amp. They advised me that this is a supplier issue.

Supplier (EON) advised that it is a DNO issue. EON need authorisation - understandable due to possible safe limits of the supply cable and main fuse to meter tails into meter.

Phoned DNO back (NEDL) who advised me that they will send me a request letter that I have to complete requesting 20KVa supply. They also advised me that I have to buy an ordnance survey map and use a highlighter to highlight the house. Within this highlighted area, I have to put a cross where the meter is within the house! Unbelievable. They must have no clue or records about what supply people have or what the fuse fitted in each property is.

Then I have to send all this info back to NEDL, who will then make a decision as to whether to upgrade the supply or send someone out to assess. After this, if they decide the cable and tails can cope with a 20amp increase in fuse, they will send me an authority letter, which I then present to the supplier (EDF), who will then send someone out to change the fuse!! Phew!!

The main supply cable is a whopper, the tails from the supply fuse are 35mm, is it really that difficult? Bloody ordnance survey maps? Flipping hell. I was starting to think it was a wind-up! I was looking over my sholder for Jeremy Beadle then remembered he is dead.

I haven't even asked about cost. I dare not!!

OH EMM GEE indeed!

ROTFWL

last time i spoke to NEDL about something similar, they sent me their map to check details...

and just because tails are 35mm doesnt mean service cable is. its probably 16 at the most

post #34 shows the difficulty you can have when your energy supplier is not your DNO.

People like to shop around for cheaper electricity, but seldom realise the issues you can have when you need some work done.

Same happens with telecoms. We switched to Talk Talk for telephone and broadband. After 18 months of appalling service, and extreme difficulty getting a fault fixed, we were glad when BT offered us a cheaper rate to go back to them.

In total contrast, a rewire I did over the last few weeks needed a supply upgrade. Scottish Hydro, who were the DNO and energy supplier came out, looked at the job and upgraded with a complete new cutout and 100A fuse without charge, fuss or problem.

Post #34 also shows why many like to pull the main fuse themselves for isolation, but we don't seem able to advise that any more. :coat

Any upgrade from say a 60amp supply to a 100 amp supply has to be justified by the designer. The procedure to request this work is the same for all, the ordanance survey maps clearly shows your position and the cross you mark for the in commer is to assist in the relevant issue of a works purchase order. They will then send out an engineer who can make an on-site assessment, the information gained will then be used to give the quotation for the upgrade to the supply. If you do have a 60 amp supply and request an upgrade to 100 amp, a simple fuse change may be all that is required subject to the supply to the fuse head. After you have ordered a few upgrades or new supplies the system gets easier to navigate, and its really a very simple process, the ordanance survey map is the real killer, but if you do it on a regular basis a licence to use the maps is a very useful tool.

Upgrading a 60A to an 80A fuse might be easy done

House Service Fuses

One of our clients was regularly blowing his service fuse. Lives in the middle of nowhere. NEDL left him a good handful of them and he swaps them when they go [every couple of months] himself.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:14 ----------

It's a dairy farm BTW

sorry patch, but telling people where to get the fuses from so they can 'upgrde' it themselves is not a good idea.

if the 32A cooker circuit kept tripping when they use a 12KW cooker, would you recommend changing the MCB to 50A and leaving the existing cable without knowing further details?

i have once came accross a 4mm PILC. only got noticed when service head/cable started smoking when shower was used... the entire street is wired the same. and possibly the next street

Latest posts