Do you have to do loop tests on all circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing wrong with calculation it IS ACCEPTED. ADS you can make all the arguments here you want to for or against do what you want and others will do what they want, there is no need for you to become insulting.

There is nothing wrong with calculation it IS ACCEPTED. ADS you can make all the arguments here you want to for or against do what you want and others will do what they want, there is no need for you to become insulting.
FIRSTLY, Voltimax - I haven't insulted anyone!!!!

and SECONDLY

I do believe this is my post:

Yes, regulation 612.9 states:'Where protective measures are used which require a knowledge of earth fault loop impedance, the relevant impedances shall be measured, or determined by an alternative method.'

So it's fine to calculate:)
So, not only is it accepted, it's in the regs!!

So, Voltimax, your apology is 'accepted' ( in advance) :)

You called me a monkey
I mean you can see by my avatar I'm no monkey
ROTFWL

Voltimax, I've just fell of my chair - honest to god, I didn't even notice that ha ha

Very good - absolutely superb

ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL

back on topic.....

I do prefer to live test Zs where possible, occasionally it's difficult because of access etc and calc's will be done instead but live testing is my prefered method and will remain so until the fun police stop me using steps.

you can find these units that can be fixed to the light fitting instead of a bulb, and you connect your 'probs' to this unit. The only part that you have to expose is access to earth point. I like to test Zs because this is one of the most important tests (this will tell whether the MCB/RCBO will trip or not) and I would like to simulate the real configuration in case of a fault. I test Zs on each and every circuit.

Ok Tom, if thats what Buildall means then yes it is ok to calculate Zs from adding your Ze or Zdb to your R1+R2, as you have measured both of these then it is a Measured result that you have and can go into the Measured Zs box on the cert.The Niceic recommend this as the safest way to avoid Zs tests at other then socket outlets.

You still have to measure the Ze or Zdb live at the Consumer Unit but at least this is only one test live.
This is not a measured value but a calculated one since the result that you enter into your schedule of test results is not a single reading for that circuit taken from your test meter!

By definition, a calculated value is one derived by performing one or more arithmetical operations on another set of numbers i.e adding Ze and R1+R2 together.

Zs reading cannot be calculated - only estimated or MEASURED DIRECTLY on an energised circuit.

i was measuring Zs from a rose on a 10ft ceiling last year....

sash window was open in the room.... while i was on the ladder, just about to put the second probe on.... sash window slams down bad day explode

and frightened the life out of me... i shorted out the probes and trashed them.

to add insult to injury, the rcbo on the circuit wouldn't reset either, so i'd trashed that too.