Does this fuse board need replacing?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffwhite

Reaction score
Hi - any advice gratefully appreciated!
I'm the landlord of a London flat and need to get an EICR done. The electrician I'm speaking with says I need to get the fuse board replaced (image below). I'm fairly sure that's true, but just wanted to check what folks on here think - and also the cost: he's quoting about £500, and there may be a few hundred pounds more for work on wiring etc once the board is changed. Does that sound about right?Thanks!
Geoff.

20240726-183631.jpg

Hi Geoff,
Would recommend the EICR be carried out first and then discuss the remedial works needed, if any.
As already mentioned the first 2 circuits can simply be replaced for RCBOs rather than an entire consumer unit replacement.
However, If it's noted that there is thermal damage within the consumer unit for example, then a replacement consumer unit would be required.
If you'd like a second opinion, we are based in London and can help out - please send me a Private message.

Email address removed to prevent spam

Last edited by a moderator:
Your a land lord , obviously earning money from rent get a new board with RCBOs throughout

Why? As long as its in good condition then its a perfectly serviceable board and if the lack of RCD protection to the lighting cirucits is an issue then a couple of Wylex Miniture RCBOs will fit that board and can be fitted within half an hour.

Its alright saying hes a landlord, hes earning plenty of money (which may not be true) but costs on Landlords obviously trickle down into rent costs over time, plus if they end up with lots of people doing unnecessary work, then I'll only lead to wider distrust of the electrical industry and stuff that does need doing may be neglected and they might try and avoid doing the required 5 yearly EICRs.

You only have to look at my recent thread in the pictures forum to see a rental property that is full of C2s with at least one C1 that actually does need urgent works doing.

I recently issued a satisfactory EICR on a property with much the same board as that pictured. Lack of RCD protection to concealed cables/lighting/bathroom lighting (bonding was installed as per 16th ed) went down as a C3. I commented on, but didnt code the lack of surge protection and the type AC RCD. And after doing some repairs while I was on site* I concluded it was now no more unsafe than it was in 2001 when it was wired to the 16th Edition

*new bathroom light - [Old one had come away from ceiling and was an old 2D 16w that was a litttle cooked inside, wasnt worth refixing it], pendnat loose on ceiling, socket box loose in wall, burnt socket from a bad plug on a heater, metal switch needing earthing, upstairs ring broken due to two burnt out loose connections in sockets, pendant had been changed and had ended up with the neutral being switched, cooker connection unit smashed)

Admittedly there were slightly more issues than I first thought when commiting myself to doing them as I went, but I was already part way through and commited to it, and I'd promised the tennant I'd sort the bathroom light (it had come away when they tried to change the lamp so they had no light in bathroom) and refix the pendnat in her son's room.

The landlord (or management company) will have been billed for a day and about £50 of materials and for that they got an EICR on a property ~1hour from base along with all the minor repairs it needed to get it satisfactory, as well as some bits like the bathroom light and the loose pendant sorted that the tennant would have ended up putting a repair request in for if the wasn't for the fact that I did them while on site. I'm not saying thats always what needs to be done (and some clients may inist that you don't do the issues on site) but rather keep rationality in mind and try and offer good value for money to the client rather than just thinking "well they can afford it"

Your a land lord , obviously earning money from rent get a new board with RCBOs throughout, and dont forget to update your smoke alarms system keep the tenants safe

as much as i don't like landlords, why? what's there is prefectly good with a few modifications. there is no need to replaced just because you think it should be replaced

As mentioned replace the the two MCBs with RCBOs. If the block has 6 floors or over all flats need an AFDD on any circuit with a socket. Came in because of Grenfell.

Metal covers that cover all the plastic box are available to make it conform, being much cheaper and neater. Check them out. You do not want the place on fire for many reasons. There may not be room as the CU looks tight up to the architrave.